• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Plant or Wait

With so little rain in the forecast short-term and long-term (climate models suggest a very dry rest of September and October for us), I've changed my mind about how I'm going to plant. Soil moisture will be at a premium this year, and turned ground loses soil moisture very rapidly. To preserve what little soil moisture we have, and as late in the year as it is, I'm just going to go with simply throw-and-mow planting. Normally, I don't prefer this method because germination rates are very low and this type of planting prevents the use of large-seeded plant. But this year, with the huge acorn crop in my area, and the ever-shortening growing season, I'll just forgo the large-seeded plants and use a basic cereal grain and annual clover mix. Those two do fairly well in throw-and-mow.
Same here and will do for years to come. Rye, wheat, oats, crimson clover. That's it. Sure removes a lot of stress. That combo will grow most anywhere and throughout all fall

Another reason I decided not to till is because of what's in the plots now. I had planned on planting much earlier in the year (late August) but lack of rain prevented that. I had also planned on planting half the plots, letting them germinate and grow to the height deer would start eating on them, and then plant the other half of the plots. Not only would this prevent a total crop failure (at worst, half the plots failing), but would also not "clean the food plot table" all at once (have all plots unproductive and bare dirt for a time). So I had already mowed and sprayed half my plots. When I checked on them yesterday, they have sprouted an amazing crop of Crimson Clover, from all the seed in the seed bank (I've planted Crimson Clover for years and always let the seed heads mature in spring). In fact, the clover crop is better than I would expect from a newly planted plot. So to protect all the crimson clover already up about 2 inches, I'll just broadcast a massive amount of cereal grain (around 150 lbs/acre) and hope for the best.

With so little rain in the forecast short-term and long-term (climate models suggest a very dry rest of September and October for us), I've changed my mind about how I'm going to plant. Soil moisture will be at a premium this year, and turned ground loses soil moisture very rapidly. To preserve what little soil moisture we have, and as late in the year as it is, I'm just going to go with simply throw-and-mow planting. Normally, I don't prefer this method because germination rates are very low and this type of planting prevents the use of large-seeded plant. But this year, with the huge acorn crop in my area, and the ever-shortening growing season, I'll just forgo the large-seeded plants and use a basic cereal grain and annual clover mix. Those two do fairly well in throw-and-mow.
This is pretty much what we are going to do. Few weeks ago we bush hogged all of our plots....now they have grown back up to a foot or so tall....so Saturday we're going to spray and then sow cereal rye, winter wheat and crimson clover....this blend will come out to about 105 lbs per acre....the thatch will brown and lay down and hopefully with any rain we will get decent germination...this method worked last year...even during that super cold snap we had in December...the cereal rye faded in color but as soon as normal temps returned it greened back up and the deer hammered it...and for this year... after a few weeks if the plots are not thick enough...we may go in and layer more wheat in....another 50lb per acre if needed.

31 of them prepped & waiting...500# of clover/brassica mix weighed & bagged in those 3 coolers.

IMG_20230921_123554121.jpg
IMG_20230921_132440623.jpg

Last edited:
This is pretty much what we are going to do. Few weeks ago we bush hogged all of our plots....now they have grown back up to a foot or so tall....so Saturday we're going to spray and then sow cereal rye, winter wheat and crimson clover....this blend will come out to about 105 lbs per acre....the thatch will brown and lay down and hopefully with any rain we will get decent germination...this method worked last year...even during that super cold snap we had in December...the cereal rye faded in color but as soon as normal temps returned it greened back up and the deer hammered it...and for this year... after a few weeks if the plots are not thick enough...we may go in and layer more wheat in....another 50lb per acre if needed.
Our thatch is comprised of a lot of wirey grasses that won't lay down on their own, so we're going to mow it down on top the seed.

Our thatch is comprised of a lot of wirey grasses that won't lay down on their own, so we're going to mow it down on top the seed.
Extra step of mowing thatch is good....Thatch will break down quicker being chopped up and it creates a cleaner looking plot being mowed....Also your likely improving seed to soil contact by driving on it....I know the less compaction of the soil the better...less trips over the plot, etc....but in this case we gotta do what we can to get the plots in...and the more seed to soil contact is made the better germination we'll have.....just need some moisture.

While I wish all our plots were in and we had rain in the forecast....one advantage with starting now is we should have less weed competition with our average first frost not being far away...also young tender growth of the cereal grains are attractive and palatable....with a little rain it could time out nicely.

While I wish all our plots were in and we had rain in the forecast....one advantage with starting now is we should have less weed competition with our average first frost not being far away...also young tender growth of the cereal grains are attractive and palatable....with a little rain it could time out nicely.
Sadly, right now, the GFS has zero precipitation forecast for western Middle TN over the next 15 days. Considering how accurate the models have been of late, I'm hoping that's a major positive for planting now! Probably get a deluge!

Sadly, right now, the GFS has zero precipitation forecast for western Middle TN over the next 15 days. Considering how accurate the models have been of late, I'm hoping that's a major positive for planting now! Probably get a deluge!
Im never relying on my weather app , ever . After what it did to me yesterday. We're planting tomorrow regardless of what anything says.

Im never relying on my weather app , ever . After what it did to me yesterday. We're planting tomorrow regardless of what anything says.
Going to be this weekend for me, despite the forecast. With work and travel commitments, this weekend is about it.
Yep I was thinking the same. Went from 5 to 75 in 12 hrs. We got a decent rain. Just enough I have to wait now to get out and plant. I'm only doing an acre so don't have a large risk but was hoping to make a buffet. Gunna be what it's gunna be what it's gunna be now

800 lbs of seed sowed today...sprayed some plots...mowed some plots...cereal rye, winter wheat and crimson clover...multiple plots ranging from 1/4 acre to 2 acres in size...7½ acres total.
Now like everyone...we need some rain.

Scratched my itch by planting the only 4 plots that are in creek bottoms. All small so if have to re-do it's no big deal. One was wet enough that it should germinate even if we don't get rain next week. Waiting on the rest.

Latest posts

Back