• Help Support TNDeer:

Salt lick homemade deer cane

duvhntr

Poured out a sack of salt 3 weeks ago with arm and hammer washing soda mixed in.. a recipe I found for homade deer cane.. so far they are basically ignoring it.. lol

Another vote for Trophy Rock. Easy easy easy and effective. I set mine up on a bowled out stump. They seem to last longer than when put on bare dirt. The runoff still gets to the dirt and they wallow out all around the stump, but seems the rock itself dissolves faster when it's sitting down in the muck where there's often standing water.

1726517863605.webp

1726518090627.webp

I'm going with that technique next year Ski. All Rocks will be placed on stumps. They melt too fast when sitting in a puddle of water (which happens fast once the deer start licking the dirt around the Rock).

Most of mine are firewood logs stood up in the middle of an old lick site, but I have a couple that are actual stumps. Deer don't seem to care either way.

Poured out a sack of salt 3 weeks ago with arm and hammer washing soda mixed in.. a recipe I found for homade deer cane.. so far they are basically ignoring it.. lol
Did you water it in? For about the first three seasons I used a homemade mix in a hole where a stump had been:

1 Part Dicalcium Phosphate 50lb bag
2 parts Trace Mineral Salt 2-50lb bags
1 part Stock Salt 50 lb bags
1 box Sodium Carbonate per mix

Once mixed it has to be used so mix accordingly. If on just dirt make about a 30" hole about 4-6" deep pour the pre-mix in then add water to get it dissolved a bit. If it is going to rain just flatten it out and let nature wet it in. It took a couple weeks but once they found it, it gets visited each year. I now put a 40lb trace mineral block (same affect) in the hole before the season starts to keep it active, but there is enough to be able to skip a season or two.

1726519674692.webp

Did you water it in? For about the first three seasons I used a homemade mix in a hole where a stump had been:

1 Part Dicalcium Phosphate 50lb bag
2 parts Trace Mineral Salt 2-50lb bags
1 part Stock Salt 50 lb bags
1 box Sodium Carbonate per mix

Once mixed it has to be used so mix accordingly. If on just dirt make about a 30" hole about 4-6" deep pour the pre-mix in then add water to get it dissolved a bit. If it is going to rain just flatten it out and let nature wet it in. It took a couple weeks but once they found it, it gets visited each year. I now put a 40lb trace mineral block (same affect) in the hole before the season starts to keep it active, but there is enough to be able to skip a season or two.

View attachment 243259
I'll use these blocks but mix half block of regular white salt block with it. I know the trace block is better for them but they seem to like the regular salt block better . Actually when I was working I go next door of the plant to the salt company and get plain rock salt. They used to give me all I wanted when we had the activity club lease . I've tied up rock salt in the sacks over the salt lick when it rained it freshened the site . When you live over 4 hours from the lease you have to be creative .

I switched to the $10 for 44lb generic trace mineral block a few years ago when Redmonds (same manufacturer as trophy rock, but at 1/5 the cost of trophy rock) started jacking up their prices.

My salt licks (some 15 years old) are almost 20 inches deep, so I HAVE to set them on a cedar stump or they will melt away in 6 weeks.

Latest posts

Back