• Help Support TNDeer:

Specific bucks

Headhunter said:
And the majorityy of hunters in this state get no excitement from chasing a particular buck. What is the meaning of all this?
I would say this is a very true statement. As has been previously stated numerous times, the majority of TN deer hunters deer hunt as a form of recreation and a means to get out of the house and enjoy some quality time afield with like minded friends, family and such. These people are the majority; us crazy obsessed deer hunting nut bags are the minority, I promise. :) There are 200,000 deer hunters in TN. There have been 20 or so that posted/replied to this TnDeer thread that they may pursue a specific buck(s). Again, we, who posted here, are NOT the majority. We are the 1% who are hardcore and think about deer hunting 12 months of the year, thus not a good representative sample of the deer hunters in the state of TN, and what they desire while afield.

102 said:
Headhunter,
I can't speak for everyone, but a point I would like to get across to hunters is that there is good balance in age structure all across Tennessee, right now, with a three buck limit.
But, as the pictures tend to indicate, an older age class buck in Tennessee does not necessarily equate to a big antlered buck.

So, cutting down on buck tags, in an effort to grow older, larger antlered bucks, is NOT going to help grow larger antlered bucks. Age will not necessarily mean MORE larger antlered (more easily accessable and killable) bucks in Tennessee.

JUST HARDER TO SEE AND KILL!!!

BUT.... we can say that just as in any animal, some have all the right things going for it, genetics etc, that are killed at early ages that COULD BE larger than the normal racks you see.
example: In a TWRA sting this fall in Montgomery County there was
a Typical 12 pointer killed, 1.5 years old by a poacher, who also
killed 7 more bucks, all illegally. What could that deer been
at just 3.5yr? I seen this a lot, but hey I like to see bigger bucks

Poser said:
Headhunter said:
And the majorityy of hunters in this state get no excitement from chasing a particular buck. What is the meaning of all this?

The majority of hunters in this state most likely do not target specific bucks, but many, possibly the majority of TN Deer members do. For that matter, the average TN Deer member scouts more days than the average TN hunter actually hunts. You have to keep these things in perspective. Many of us hunt as a lifestyle commitment, but many hunters not represented on this site hunt for recreation. Just because you are in a motorcycle gang, doesn't mean that you don't share the road with mopeds.

As Poser pointed out, the users of TNdeer are generally a far more serious set of deer hunters than the average deer hunter in TN. If I remember correctly, the average deer hunter in TN only hunts 12-14 calendar days per year. Many TNdeer users hunt far more than that. TNdeer users represent a far higher percentage of hardcore old/big buck hunters than exists in the general deer hunting population, so opinions posted here are going to be heavily skewed towards big buck views/desires.

Andy S. said:
Headhunter said:
I would say this is a very true statement. As has been previously stated numerous times, the majority of TN deer hunters deer hunt as a form of recreation and a means to get out of the house and enjoy some quality time afield with like minded friends, family and such. These people are the majority; us crazy obsessed deer hunting nut bags are the minority, I promise. :) There are 200,000 deer hunters in TN. There have been 20 or so that posted/replied to this TnDeer thread that they may pursue a specific buck(s). Again, we, who posted here, are NOT the majority. We are the 1% who are hardcore and think about deer hunting 12 months of the year, thus not a good representative sample of the deer hunters in the state of TN, and what they desire while afield.

Very, very well put Andy.

Headhunter said:

Just that the vast majority of deer hunters in TN hunt far more for recreation than anything else. Those hunters that hunt for a specific buck are only a tiny minority of all hunters.

Let me also add that although I posted pictures of bucks I would like to encounter and have a realistic opportunity to encounter, I do not hunt for specific bucks. Even in the years when I knew I had a 150-class buck using my property, I still shot the first buck that met my harvest criterion (3 1/2+).

To each their own, and if someone wants to hunt a specific buck, I say more power to them and I wish them the best of luck. But personally, I just want to hunt for any buck that I consider a challenge to my skills while still providing an opportunity or two per year.

landman said:
BUT.... we can say that just as in any animal, some have all the right things going for it, genetics etc, that are killed at early ages that COULD BE larger than the normal racks you see.

Absolutely true landman. TN can and does produce the occassional whopper buck. We've all seen the pictures posted on this site. In addition, some real potential whoppers get killed when they are young, long before they can express their amazing potential. But that also happens in every state, including KY, IL and IA.

The thing that most hunters don't realize is that a high percentage of the mature bucks do not get the opportunity to fully express their genetic potential. Why? Because they are on a sub-par diet (poor habitat). A deer's whole world revolves around what is 5 feet high and lower in the forest. Lets face it, the majority of the properties where we now hunt is poorly managed --- woods with very little sunlight getting to the ground level. Land management practices have drastically changed over the years --- less burning, less cutting, etc. I'm not talking about food plots or supplemental feeding. I'm talking about creating early successional browse that would improve the overall health of all deer. While bucks from these areas may not compare with those of the agricultural areas of the Mid-west, you would still be surprised at the overall improvement of antler quality by improving the browse.

This post of messages makes no sense whatosever. Many say that the 3 buck limit is just fine when what I read in these posts is proof beyond the shadow of a doubt for a 1 buck limit. Hilarious.

Headhunter said:
Many say that the 3 buck limit is just fine.......
99.999999% of the hunters who like/prefer the 3 buck limit NEVER post on TnDeer and NEVER will. Again, taking ANYTHING you read/hear/see on TnDeer from us hardcore hunters (1%er) and thinking it is a sound representation of the every day deer hunter, and his/her desires in the deer woods, is hideous at best.

Headhunter said:
....when what I read in these posts is proof beyond the shadow of a doubt for a 1 buck limit.
Please explain this proof in more detail.

Headhunter said:
This post of messages makes no sense whatosever. Many say that the 3 buck limit is just fine when what I read in these posts is proof beyond the shadow of a doubt for a 1 buck limit. Hilarious.

Can you explain?

Rick Dillard said:
The thing that most hunters don't realize is that a high percentage of the mature bucks do not get the opportunity to fully express their genetic potential. Why? Because they are on a sub-par diet (poor habitat). A deer's whole world revolves around what is 5 feet high and lower in the forest. Lets face it, the majority of the properties where we now hunt is poorly managed --- woods with very little sunlight getting to the ground level. Land management practices have drastically changed over the years --- less burning, less cutting, etc. I'm not talking about food plots or supplemental feeding. I'm talking about creating early successional browse that would improve the overall health of all deer. While bucks from these areas may not compare with those of the agricultural areas of the Mid-west, you would still be surprised at the overall improvement of antler quality by improving the browse.

I absolutely agree that hunters would be surprised what deer can grow, even in a hardwoods environment, if the habitat is managed well. But I have to disagree that, " the majority of the properties where we now hunt is poorly managed." The amount of good habitat management that is going on specifically for wildlife is simply amazing. Ten years ago, few if anyone managed their land for wildlife. Now, managing even valuable timber specifically for wildlife, is extremely common.

I'd love to kill this guy. He's just mean looking. I've got 4 deer I'd like to see if they made it. I know 2 of them were alive after season for sure.
8pt.jpg

MUP said:
Definitely ain't skeered! :grin:

I got to see "that look" last year from a buck who frequents my front yard (to eat my roses). The previous year he had been a nice 2 1/2 year-old six-point, and he was easily chased out of the yard. But last year I confronted him when he was a 3 1/2 year-old 8-point, and not only did he not chase out of the yard, he stood his ground and gave me "that look." I can't say I was actually afraid of him, but I when I realized he wasn't going to back down from me, had a lot of dangerous antlers on his head, and had about 40 pounds on me, I sure went back in the house in a hurry!

...and I just saw him again last night. Velvet beams way past his ears that haven't even started to turn inwards yet. Thank goodness he isn't all "testosteroned up" yet! He just slowly walked away when I turned the flashlight on him from about 15 yards away.

BSK said:
MUP said:

I got to see "that look" last year from a buck who frequents my front yard (to eat my roses). The previous year he had been a nice 2 1/2 year-old six-point, and he was easily chased out of the yard. But last year I confronted him when he was a 3 1/2 year-old 8-point, and not only did he not chase out of the yard, he stood his ground and gave me "that look." I can't say I was actually afraid of him, but I when I realized he wasn't going to back down from me, had a lot of dangerous antlers on his head, and had about 40 pounds on me, I sure went back in the house in a hurry!

...and I just saw him again last night. Velvet beams way past his ears that haven't even started to turn inwards yet. Thank goodness he isn't all "testosteroned up" yet! He just slowly walked away when I turned the flashlight on him from about 15 yards away.
Isnt it funny how easily deer and even old bucks get conditioned to the situations and lifestyles they live in!

Winchester said:
BSK said:
MUP said:

Isnt it funny how easily deer and even old bucks get conditioned to the situations and lifestyles they live in!

Yup. These suburban deer have no fear of man what-so-ever (they have never been hunted). I can literally walk out amongst them in my yard, and until I try kick one, they just stare at me.

BSK said:
Winchester said:
BSK said:
MUP said:

Yup. These suburban deer have no fear of man what-so-ever (they have never been hunted). I can literally walk out amongst them in my yard, and until I try kick one, they just stare at me.

It sounds like you need to condition him to the freezer this fall.

085.jpg

I hunted this area from dawn til 11AM on 11/24/2011,got out of my stand, and put out my trail cam and notice the time he came by! Saw him a week later after a hot doe and couldn't get a shot. Don't think he was killed last year.

Latest posts

Back