• Help Support TNDeer:

Specific bucks

scn said:
BSK said:
Winchester said:
BSK said:
MUP said:
Definitely ain't skeered! :grin:

I got to see "that look" last year from a buck who frequents my front yard (to eat my roses). The previous year he had been a nice 2 1/2 year-old six-point, and he was easily chased out of the yard. But last year I confronted him when he was a 3 1/2 year-old 8-point, and not only did he not chase out of the yard, he stood his ground and gave me "that look." I can't say I was actually afraid of him, but I when I realized he wasn't going to back down from me, had a lot of dangerous antlers on his head, and had about 40 pounds on me, I sure went back in the house in a hurry!

...and I just saw him again last night. Velvet beams way past his ears that haven't even started to turn inwards yet. Thank goodness he isn't all "testosteroned up" yet! He just slowly walked away when I turned the flashlight on him from about 15 yards away.
Isnt it funny how easily deer and even old bucks get conditioned to the situations and lifestyles they live in!

Yup. These suburban deer have no fear of man what-so-ever (they have never been hunted). I can literally walk out amongst them in my yard, and until I try kick one, they just stare at me.

It sounds like you need to condition him to the freezer this fall.

Don't think my neighbors would appreciate me hunting in my front yard. ;)

Amazingly, as habituated to humans as these suburban deer are, they are absolutely 100% nocturnal. In three years I've seen a grand total of one deer in daylight. But once darkness falls, they come out of the woodwork. In fact, these deer are so nocturnal, most of my neighbors didn't believe there were deer around. I had to show them trail-cam pics from my yard, and then start calling them and telling them to turn on their porch lights so they could see the deer currently in their yard before they would believe me.

I told a story about this deer last year, and to my knowledge he was never shot. I actually ended up shooting the buck behind him which was probably the same age if not older, just not near as pretty of a rack.

Picture059.jpg

scn said:

As I've told you before scn, if you get a call from Bellevue that a man is in his front yard dressed only in a robe and slippers, and is beating a deer to death with a shovel, you will know it's just me!

BSK said:
scn said:

As I've told you before scn, if you get a call from Bellevue that a man is in his front yard dressed only in a robe and slippers, and is beating a deer to death with a shovel, you will know it's just me!

Just get your depredation permit ahead of time and you'll be good to go!

It was interesting to hear that you don't see them during daylight hours. Our guys have caught a couple of bunches out your way that like to shoot them in the front yards with the light of the picture windows. They have killed some impressive deer out there.

I generally don't know they are out there until I look out the front windows in the moonlight, or I'm sitting in my screened-in back porch at night and hear deer clip-clopping down my neighbor's driveway in the dark.

W.Seay said:
Do you know his age, he looks 3.5 in that picture. If he was 3.5 last year, he should add quite a bit to that rack this season.
I agree on the 3.5, he is a little small on body weight, but there are no agricultural fields close by - deer in this area are totally dependent upon browse and acorns. What is your estimate on score? I am saying 130-135.

Latest posts

Back