• Help Support TNDeer:

Understanding limits and family property.

Zwinegar

I'm wondering how the limits exactly are so can I hunt 2 bucks in my region and a 3rd in CWD? And do I also get 2 antlerless ? I have some family land on the rivers of Weber city VA 45 acres to hunt on and I don't plan to get a license for Virginia since they do not offer native rates for VA born natives. What is the legality of hunting and butchering my own meat on my families land? The area is even named after my family and right on the border of TN I'd assume I wouldn't have any issues with wardens but don't fully understand legality for all of this stuff. Would a small cooler and a large cooler be enough for a Dow? Just wanting to be prepared I've never butchered myself but have a will to learn. My kids Grandmah has plenty of room to store and mouths to feed so I want to load up all my relatives for being supportive in our lives. Thanks, god bless!

If you are talking about hunting in VA without a license, you will be in violation of VA law. Any game you take would be illegal. And, if you transport that illegal game back into TN, you will be in violation of the federal Lacy Act.

It sounds like you need to spend some time going through some Hunting Guides.
Good to know, That's why I'm asking my grandma lives in va along with mom and other family I just assumed family land didn't have regulations applied.

You can transport legally taken venison across state lines, but illegally taken venison is a violation. Not sure why you wouldn't get a license in Virginia if you plan on hunting there.
Didn't plan on it just wanting to understand all the law it's my first year hunting and already have sportsman in TN so I'm not gonna bother with VA it was just a afterthought because it's relatively closer than CWD if I wanted a 3rd if I can even manage 2.

Didn't plan on it just wanting to understand all the law it's my first year hunting and already have sportsman in TN so I'm not gonna bother with VA it was just a afterthought because it's relatively closer than CWD if I wanted a 3rd if I can even manage 2.
You're in Johnson city, correct? How close do you think cwd is to your area? It's your first year but you already thinking you're gonna kill your 2 bucks. Good luck this season. As stated before, get a regulations book and read it, twice. You've got a ton to learn

You're in Johnson city, correct? How close do you think cwd is to your area? It's your first year but you already thinking you're gonna kill your 2 bucks. Good luck this season. As stated before, get a regulations book and read it, twice. You've got a ton to learn
Can always hope for the best! I just know a lot of family that are struggling and I just want to help however I can and I've been reading it. CWD is days away I'm well aware. Figured it would be easier to ask a few question I have here. The season is so short I probably won't get anything will see…

• Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
That's directly from Virginia's regs. Unless you are listed on the deed as owner or meet the child/grandchild criteria, you will need a license. Also, Tennessee prohibits bringing bones, brain matter etc out of Virginia back into the state, so you basically need to process your deer before bringing it back into the state. We have a farm on the Virginia side that you can see the TN state line from. It's a pain in the rear to debone etc.

• Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
That's directly from Virginia's regs. Unless you are listed on the deed as owner or meet the child/grandchild criteria, you will need a license. Also, Tennessee prohibits bringing bones, brain matter etc out of Virginia back into the state, so you basically need to process your deer before bringing it back into the state. We have a farm on the Virginia side that you can see the TN state line from. It's a pain in the rear to debone etc.
Yes it's my grandmothers land my grandfather built a cabin on the river and I would fall in that category! So I wasn't completely wrong assuming I had rights to hunt my families land…

If I'm not mistaken, you can take each unit's doe limit. The unit beside your current unit is 400 miles closer than cwd unit.

And if meat is what you are after, does are better eating anyway..
That is awesome, I didn't even notice that it wasn't a statewide limit on the does that's even better. I love me some venison!! Nice to know I have a backup spot I can legally hunt if all else fails with familiar lands where me and my grandfather used to ride four wheelers in the mountains.

Laws may differ in different states.

I lived in TN for several years but hunted the farm I grew up on in KY. Even tho' I own that farm, and payed taxes on it, I still had to buy a Nonresident hunting license and deer tag.

I have lived in KY for several years. For a while, I owned a farm in Illinois. Illinois has a "hunt own land" option where, as a nonresident, you can hunt land you own for a significant discount over a nonresident hunting land they don't own.

If you live in TN but hunt out of state, you will likely be required to purchase a nonresident license & permit of some sort for that state.

Laws may differ in different states.

I lived in TN for several years but hunted the farm I grew up on in KY. Even tho' I own that farm, and payed taxes on it, I still had to buy a Nonresident hunting license and deer tag.

I have lived in KY for several years. For a while, I owned a farm in Illinois. Illinois has a "hunt own land" option where, as a nonresident, you can hunt land you own for a significant discount over a nonresident hunting land they don't own.

If you live in TN but hunt out of state, you will likely be required to purchase a nonresident license & permit of some sort for that state.
I think this is correct. If you lived in VA you wouldn't have to purchase a license to hunt your grandmothers land, but since you live in TN you will need to get a license. I may be wrong, but the privilege to hunt family land is for residents of the state.

Va law specifies neither resident or NON resident landowners need a license to hunt their own property. I never buy a license to hunt our farm and I live in TN
What does it say about relatives of landowners though? Maybe it's not any different, but I expect that it is. 🤷‍♂️

What does it say about relatives of landowners though? Maybe it's not any different, but I expect that it is. 🤷‍♂️
That's straight out of VA regs…..Tennessee is even more restrictive of even their residents as it pertains to grandchildren. If a resident grandchild over age 16 wants to hunt granny's back 40, they are required to buy license.

Some pretty good video's on U tube. I've made it a point to learn , Makes it much easier when you Have to get a deer out of a gully or have a long hike out.

Latest posts

Back