Walmart and bait

TNhunter

Someone PLEASE make this topic sticky so everyone can post in it every year about this time. How bout banning Walmart from selling boolits since criminals use them to commit crimes. Just sayin.

mike243

You really cant blame a store for selling what the public buys.there is no way to tell what the bait is being used for.i try not to judge folks i dont know as alot of folks have trail cameras these days.i have seen corn in some deer killed off of 101 in crossville that some locals pointed a finger at a local guide putting it out on some public land.i never scoutsd the public land & doubt a report was filed.

Redfred16

Here in Wisconsin we can hunt over 2 gallons of bait per 40 acres. I admit to using it. But the deer don't fill up there, its a quick bite of easy food right before they enter thier bedding area. I spred it out along the trail leading into a cedar swamp. It just slows them down and gives me a chance to look and see if I like them. It also gives me squirrels and turkeys to look at the rest of the day.

Of course everything changes once the acorns drop, and baiting no longer matters as food is everywhere.

Truedouble

y'all should see all the "discussions" on Aldeer about legalized baiting in AL. I can tell you that if AL. ever makes it legal it will be because of a small number of very wealthy people that are for it. I'd say most hunters in AL. don't want it but the few that do are very vocal. I listened in to a DCNR meeting where they were discussing it and the logic for baiting was a freakin joke. Mostly came from one guy that owns a fenced in operation that sell and kill breeder bucks. In my opinion those that hunt in a fence should have no voice in the matter, BUT I would be completely fine if pen hunters baited, just leave those that hunt in the wild out of it.

Bottom line is after a few years of it being legal, kill numbers will not increase but every body will be broke trying to out bait their neighbor. It's a loose loose for hunters and deer, IMO

BigAl

I have been running a feeder in my backyard for almost 2 years straight. My house is almost surrounded by several hundred acres that get hunted, but not heavily. The deer are still extremely skittish, mostly come by at night, and the bucks only come around occasionally. If you setup a stand on my feeder I'd bet you'd be extremely lucky to kill a buck during daylight.

I just don't think its the magic pill that some folks think.

JCDEERMAN

I didnt read this whole thread, but did read the last page or two. Comparing baiting to a food plot???? UNREAL a food plot was even brought up.

Fireslayer

Poser said:
TNhunter said:
Someone PLEASE make this topic sticky so everyone can post in it every year about this time. How bout banning Walmart from selling boolits since criminals use them to commit crimes. Just sayin.

"Boolits": Must be the Cajun spelling :D
Poser said:
TNhunter said:
Just southern spelling......ain't, y'all and boolits:)
"Boolits": Must be the Cajun spelling :D

Savage

The only arguement that I've heard that even began to hold water, was that some people have the availability, infrastructure, and financials to plant dandy food plots. Others dont have that, and this would level the playing field.

That being said, I am not a proponent of this. However, in the areas that are quickly being overrun with clearcuts and pine trees, it would greatly increase your deer sightings.

timberjack86

BigAl said:
If you setup a stand on my feeder I'd bet you'd be extremely lucky to kill a buck during daylight.

I just don't think its the magic pill that some folks think.
X2 Remember when they legalized crossbows most of the same group said legalizing crossbows would obliterate our deer herd.The harm I see from legalizing baiting it would make hunting much tougher for everybody.

Latest posts