• Help Support TNDeer:

Bedding Habits

Poser that sounds like an awesome buck bed! With finding it 2 years ago, and having multible aged rubs, you may have you a bedding area that once you harvest this old guy, and new buck would take over.

I posted another thread so this thread wont get steered away from the OP bedding habits topics.

I think this thread would be fun:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost2873339

Poser, I have a similar location that I am going to try and slip in this fall. There is a specific buck I am after. I have tried to locate his main area for 2 years. I found it in February. If you look at a 100 yard stretch of where I think his core area is, it all makes sense. I realized it when I saw it, and realized it even more when I looked at a map. There is a big field on top to the west of there (as we normally have NW / W / SW winds in the fall). The ridge runs out to the East of the field. There is an old logging road to the W/ SW of the ridge he is spending the most of his time, I believe, so he can smell anything that comes down it. When he is bedded 3/4 of the way up on the North side, he can see an old logging road in the bottom that is never used, as it is fairly open, except where the thick stuff starts 3/4 the way up. If you could see what I saw, it would all make sense :) . I have already cut a small trail to where I will be so I dont brush against anything. I will be down below him looking up. This is a location we dont hardly touch as far as hunting goes. Well, I'm not waiting it out this coming season. I plan on getting there 2-3 hours before light.

I guess the only difference is I KNOW there is a 5 1/2 yo buck in there. It is one I have alot of history with - as in shooting his mom while he was a button (in 2007) - thats my only guess because he hangs out in about a 75 acre area and wont leave (she wasnt there to push him out to another location)...I dont get pics of him anywhere else, but I put a camera there, and hes on almost all of them. Have pics of him as a 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and a 4 1/2. Got a pic of him during March, so I know hes still alive. Not a big buck at all. I'm hoping he will score 110-115" this year, if I'm lucky. I hunted him all of 2010 as a 3 1/2 with the intentions of killing this buck and he presented himself 25 yards from me for over 45 minutes. I couldnt pull the trigger, as I would have no satisfaction. That has never happened to me. Man, can pictures be deceiving - just much smaller than in real life than the pictures showed :( . Caught a glimps of him last year. He just keeps getting smarter and smarter :mad: . Point is, of course older deer bed with all factors in their favor.

:D

JCDEERMAN, sounds like you also have a big buck scenario too

One thing I would be curious of in your plans. You mentioned being below him and arriving 2-3 hours before shooting light. Have you considered the thermals in the am will be rising.. possibly rising to him? Just like 102 stated earlier in a post. You may only get one chance at him! If you are going to hunt him coming to his bed, do you suspect him coming from below you up towards his bed?

I knew a guy 4 years ago the same thing happened...he had to stay in all day, but the buck got up an hour before dark and exited walking away from the hunter.

Also need to consider this... if he comes in an beds without giving you a shot opportunity, you may be treed for the day. When you are given an opportunity at him and cant make the shot, out of range etc...be prepared for an all day sit, and hope he exits the bed in your favor!

backstraps said:
JCDEERMAN, sounds like you also have a big buck scenario too

One thing I would be curious of in your plans. You mentioned being below him and arriving 2-3 hours before shooting light. Have you considered the thermals in the am will be rising.. possibly rising to him? Just like 102 stated earlier in a post. You may only get one chance at him! If you are going to hunt him coming to his bed, do you suspect him coming from below you up towards his bed?

I knew a guy 4 years ago the same thing happened...he had to stay in all day, but the buck got up an hour before dark and exited walking away from the hunter.

Also need to consider this... if he comes in an beds without giving you a shot opportunity, you may be treed for the day. When you are given an opportunity at him and cant make the shot, out of range etc...be prepared for an all day sit, and hope he exits the bed in your favor!

I always play thermals the best I can, but in hilly terrain with no flat land around, it can be very tricky. Most of the times, it is unpredictable. Where we are, the best thermals are worked are on days there are no winds, or play the "just before dark" or "just before light" scenerios when the wind is virtually non-existent....(there arent that many of those occasions). This particular hollow runs straight West to East. I plan on going in there on a West wind only. The big field is at the head of the hollow. Right down below the field is a HUGE travel corridor. To my knowledge, no one has hunted this specific hollow for 12 years for the exception of me killing a doe (I'm guessing) 6 years ago. They just scoot the edge of the field at the head of the hollow. I wont go in there unless this West wind will be a constant 5-10 mph all day and preferably a little damp to get in there quiet. Being directly below him and a little East of him, I am hoping the thermals arent a factor. The winds always shoots down the hollow because the whole length of the field also runs West to East, so I am hoping it will be a big trash shoot all the way down. The side of the hill it seems he is bedding is pretty steep. The specific spot is where a tree fell years ago. It is flat and the root ball will be guarding me for movement (a blind, if you will). Therefore, I can eat lunch, stretch, or whatever. This hunt will be specifically designed for the first 30 minutes of light. BUT should have good deer movement all day. - Thats definately weighing in on my gambling decision. All this being discussed does not even mention the other side of the hollow. There are trails galore and really thick. Usually South facing slopes arent as thick as North facing slopes, but this one is for whatever reason. That side will have the sun on it all day for a good view for whatever is moving around.

The reason for all of this is, a West wind will be in my favor, while on the same hand, the wind will be over his back while he has a good view. The ridge takes a twist to the South at its very tip, and I am right at the "twist". From what I saw when there this past spring, he will feel plenty safe. It IS risky, but I am on my last leg with this buck. The older he gets, the harder it will be to kill him. I have caught him within 20 yards this past season, wind shifted, and he busted me....he was within 75 yards of where I suspected he beds. It was RIGHT AT DAYLIGHT. Another 5 minutes and he would have been mine this past season. All the trailcam pics tell the same story. When they turn 4 1/2, they are a different animal and you have to change tactics. He will be 5 1/2, which complicates things even more. I am always up for a challenge :)

I thought thermals do not rise until the temp does? So you may on a really really cold morning be able to get in a couple hour hunt. Then again you could slip in just as temps begin falling in the evening and get in again another couple hr hunt. Sounds like a spot that couldnt be hunted all day....

BHC said:
I thought thermals do not rise until the temp does? So you may on a really really cold morning be able to get in a couple hour hunt. Then again you could slip in just as temps begin falling in the evening and get in again another couple hr hunt. Sounds like a spot that couldnt be hunted all day....

Rises in the morning and falls in the evening. I normally like to be up high in the mornings and low in the evenings. Thermals dont mean much when there is a steady breeze. Weather fronts also throw in a wrench. In the situation as I mentioned above, every aspect needs to be looked at. I wont go in there until the timing and the weather permits

Sounds like a challenge to say the least. I hope your hard work pays off for you.
The bed you described sounds so familar. I know of two bucks on different propertied with bedding areas very close in discription to yours

There have been a few bucks I have purposefully hunted after finding their bed. One ended up being a heavy 6 point. He bedded in the Bowater Pines near some private Property.

When gun season opened, the gunnies pushed him on top of me.

I killed him at 15 yards as he passed by my ladder stand.

Another buck I found on a doe hunt. I jumped him out of his bed after a morning hunt near honeysuckle. The second I jumped him I knew why he was there. It was a perfect bed for a mature buck. He saw me coming from a direction that I would have never been coming from had I not been looking for a better route of access.

I made a plan. ANd checked the best wind direction.

A week later, the wind changed.

I was set up before daylight.

5 minutes after shooting light rose in the East, I was watching his approach. I bleated him to a stop and the arrow hit him right in the ball socket of his right front leg at 27 yards. He was less than 75 yards from his bed.

I never saw that buck again and the sound of the arrow hit still haunts me. It was not a fatal blow.

BTW, I feel certain he would have at least grossed 130.

To me, this strategy and the use thereof would be predicated by many factors. Most of which would be the lay of the land that you are hunting.

IMO, this strategy would be somewhat useless in areas where deer movement is variable such as large spans of timber. Thousands of acres of timber with very little variation over it's entire span, is very difficult to set up in. The reason is that there are little varitaions in terrain to key on.

It's easier when your dealing with farmland and large fields where cover is at a minimum. if there is only ten acres of timber on a 200 acre farm and you find beds in that timber, it's pretty certain that when deer are on that property, they will be bedded in that timber. With 3,000 acres of timber, finding these beds is not as easy and even finding them puts you only in a place where deer bedded down and you have no certainty that they will return to bed there again , if ever. So, what should be a key element here, no matter which type terrain you are hunting?

In my mind, it's not that they are bedding there or even how much consistancy they have to return there, but more how they get to and from there. even after you figure out how you think they are approaching the bed, you must ask yourself if this is always the case? Does the buck come from only one direction to the bed, odds are NO! Is he always going to come in before first light and if so, how close by will he be when you come in and will he see or hear your approach? How can you prevent this....you probably can't.

Another thing that no one seems to have mentioned is this. if you find beds during the daylight hours, did you jump the deer using the bed on your approach? if so, did you booger that area up? if you did not jump a deer off the bed, then how much faith do you have that this bed is one that is used with any regularity....?

You find a bedding area while scouting. You decide to hunt it, so you return later with a stand and put it up....now, how much time do you allow for your scent to disperse before hunting the stand and how do you determine which way the buck is coming from without actually seeing the buck during one of his approaches. many times bucks use rarely used trails and these can be difficult to find, especially if each trail is one of many that he uses ...

Now, once you set up on stand two-three hours before daylight to insure that IF the deer comes to that bed that morning, you will be there well before him and he probably won't see or hear you making your way there in the dark, at what point do you decide that he is not coming? Are you sitting within sight of the bed itself? And if so, when do you decide to leave? Obviously, if he was coming he would be there at first light or maybe even before then....right?

The reason for all the negativity is to try and persuade you to adopt another strategy and to say that what you are attempting to do is as difficult a way of deer hunting as there is, other than maybe jump shooting them like rabbits. Too many things have to be perfect for this to workout,imo.

Your best bet is to study the property from above,(aerials) taking note not only of the lay of your land, but also of the property around you. Odds are that deer are merely moving through your property and thusly, you should spend more time figuring out ambush points between possible points A and B....and not setting up on points A or B. Don't be as concerned with where they are going or when they will be there, but more about HOW they get there...

When i adopted a strategy of finding travel corridors and stopped trying to depend on feeding and bedding areas, my success increased dramatically. One reason for that is that I always tried to set up where deer spent the least amount of time and NOT where they spent the most time....think about that.

Now, when adopting this strategy, you must understand that you will see deer for a very little amount of time, as they are passing by you on their daily travels. If you set up correctly, they'll never know you are there or ever was there. You may see deer at any time, but when you do, be ready to shoot. You may only get a few seconds to a minute or so to decide and shoot.

it has been my experience that traveling deer are less keen that those feeding, bedding or simply standing around in an area, for whatever reason. Deer on the move are less likely to see, hear or smell you as they are passing by than they are if a groups of them are feeding around your setup.....

That is why I prefer to hunt travel corridors and try to stay away from bedding and feeding areas.

enjoy the process...

BH, I like your negativity, and appreciate it. If everyone agreed with each other on here, it wouldnt make for a good talk forum :) The biggest thing I got from your post here is that your discussion mainly is directed to a.m. bed hunting. THIS is the hardest of the two, and more times than not an a.m. bed hunt will not work for you. A.M. hunts has to have everything lined up perfectly. PM bedroom hunting is where I am mostly focussed. Also, im referring to hunting bucks 3.5 years and older. Statagies for hunting younger bucks arent as extreme imo. My thinking of bedroom hunting is NOT for RUT hunting either... as RUT tactics will not require closing in on bedrooms, and would shift more so downwind travel routes of doe bedding areas, funnels, shelfs, saddles, parallel trails, etc

To me, this strategy and the use thereof would be predicated by many factors. Most of which would be the lay of the land that you are hunting.

My thoughts exactly. One thing that may bring us closer in thoughts too though is im talking about bow hunting. Strategies with a firearm differs due to the fact of not having to close the ditance as close on a buck.

In my mind, it's not that they are bedding there or even how much consistancy they have to return there, but more how they get to and from there. even after you figure out how you think they are approaching the bed, you must ask yourself if this is always the case? Does the buck come from only one direction to the bed, odds are NO! Is he always going to come in before first light and if so, how close by will he be when you come in and will he see or hear your approach? How can you prevent this....you probably can't.

I agree the routes taken to and from the bed are where you mostly are going to get a crack at him, however,knowing where and when he beds an area allows you to narrow the routes closer to his bed to arrow him. If you are hunting halfway between bed and food, and say he has two exits from his bed, that splits into 6 routes to food. Covering the 2 exit routes closest to the bed increases your chances. Hunting with a firearm, I wouldnt feel you need to get close ot his bed at all.
As for always coming into his bed the same route, I feel the buck will only use the bed during certain winds, therefore I do think he will most likely use the same entrance to the particular bed, due to the wind direction that has hunter on that bed to begin with.

Another thing that no one seems to have mentioned is this. if you find beds during the daylight hours, did you jump the deer using the bed on your approach? if so, did you booger that area up? if you did not jump a deer off the bed, then how much faith do you have that this bed is one that is used with any regularity....?

Here is the most important part to my thoughts and plans on bedroom hunting. 1. You need to locate these beds during post season. Mark them on your map, plan when,where, and how to hunt this bed. When a hunter finds the "right" buck beds, he/she can tell if the bed has been used year after year, especially with aged buck rubs around the bed. As for bumping a buck from his bed during season.. well if he is a mature buck then you best move on to your next buck bed that season. This is also the reason why I dont think a hunter can hunt a particular buck bed more that 2-3 times per the entire season.

You find a bedding area while scouting. You decide to hunt it, so you return later with a stand and put it up....now, how much time do you allow for your scent to disperse before hunting the stand and how do you determine which way the buck is coming from without actually seeing the buck during one of his approaches. many times bucks use rarely used trails and these can be difficult to find, especially if each trail is one of many that he uses ...

This again falls back to you have to locate and plan the beds during post season. However, if you locate a buck bed and want to hunt it during season... I hope you located it and bumped in the PM because thats your one crack at that buck right then. You have to set up on him that evening, beat him to his bedroom the next morning. When he returns and smells your scent, he is off to another bedding area. You cannot return a week or so and hunt him.

Now, once you set up on stand two-three hours before daylight to insure that IF the deer comes to that bed that morning, you will be there well before him and he probably won't see or hear you making your way there in the dark, at what point do you decide that he is not coming? Are you sitting within sight of the bed itself? And if so, when do you decide to leave? Obviously, if he was coming he would be there at first light or maybe even before then....right?

In the a.m hunts again, they are much harder and there is a pont you didnt mention, what if he returns and you cant shoot him!
Here is my thoughts on this: If you are perched, and your buck doesnt return to this bed, or maybe seen,smelled you and you didnt know it. I think after hunting the bedding for a few hours, you need to have your exit route planned out and leave. IF the buck did return and you cant shoot him for whatever reason, then ino, you are tree'd. Better hope the wind doesnt shift to alert him of your presence. Best case scenario is if the wind shifts during the day and he moves out, or even moves within range.

The reason for all the negativity is to try and persuade you to adopt another strategy and to say that what you are attempting to do is as difficult a way of deer hunting as there is, other than maybe jump shooting them like rabbits. Too many things have to be perfect for this to workout,imo.

Your best bet is to study the property from above,(aerials) taking note not only of the lay of your land, but also of the property around you. Odds are that deer are merely moving through your property and thusly, you should spend more time figuring out ambush points between possible points A and B....and not setting up on points A or B. Don't be as concerned with where they are going or when they will be there, but more about HOW they get there...

When i adopted a strategy of finding travel corridors and stopped trying to depend on feeding and bedding areas, my success increased dramatically. One reason for that is that I always tried to set up where deer spent the least amount of time and NOT where they spent the most time....think about that.

Now, when adopting this strategy, you must understand that you will see deer for a very little amount of time, as they are passing by you on their daily travels. If you set up correctly, they'll never know you are there or ever was there. You may see deer at any time, but when you do, be ready to shoot. You may only get a few seconds to a minute or so to decide and shoot.

it has been my experience that traveling deer are less keen that those feeding, bedding or simply standing around in an area, for whatever reason. Deer on the move are less likely to see, hear or smell you as they are passing by than they are if a groups of them are feeding around your setup.....

That is why I prefer to hunt travel corridors and try to stay away from bedding and feeding areas.

enjoy the process...

I think we share a lot of the same thoughts. I just try and think more on the lines of a bowhunter, having to get closer.
I think a mature buck spends so much of his daylight hours bedding, that if you dont get close to where he is, and try and harvest either him coming in or out of his bed, or inside his staging area, your chances continue to drop.

When it comes to the study of maps, planning the hunt...you and I left one the most important part off all the topics mentioned above:

I think the most important part is to make sure you have a very well planned out entrance and exit route to and from your tree.
This is the thing I feel can make or brake any hunting setup plan.

Here is the thing, I know that the mass majority of you guys on this site have years and years more experience hunting mature bucks than I do. IMO, the guys on this site that continues to harvest "mature" bucks year after year, has figured out something that works for them. To be harvesting mature bucks year after year requires a lot of lessons hard learned too.

I have had the blessings of being able to chase the same 2 mature bucks for the last 4 years. I still have not killed these guys, but the have taught me a lot about how hunting a mature bucks will differ from hunting younger bucks!

Deer will simply bed wherever is most convenient for them, and least disturbed by predators (including human ones).

In other words, they bed wherever it's close to what they're feeding on, so long as the specific location seems safe & secure, sometimes traveling only a few yards over the course of several days. But all it takes is a single hunter coming "scouting", a stray dog sniffing around, etc., to cause the now "disturbed" deer to seek a location less disturbed.

Wes Parrish said:
Deer will simply bed wherever is most convenient for them, and least disturbed by predators (including human ones).

In other words, they bed wherever it's close to what they're feeding on, so long as the specific location seems safe & secure, sometimes traveling only a few yards over the course of several days. But all it takes is a single hunter coming "scouting", a stray dog sniffing around, etc., to cause the now "disturbed" deer to seek a location less disturbed.

This is true. This is the exactly why I think post season scouting should locate many buck beds. Locating buck beds for particular wind directions etc.

When a buck is bumped from his bed, if you have several bed sights predetermined from post season scouting, then you should have ideas where he is if he isnt in the buck bed you are hunting or if he gets bumped from his bed. He will simply relocate to a different bed. He normally isnt busted from the property entirely.

This is also the reason I think summer glassing from vantage points can pay off huge. You can have an idea which bed he is using by seeing him in the first or last hour of daylight.
Reference the point on your map where you seen him thru the glass, and take an educated guess at which nearby bed he came from or is going to.

Something else that makes bedroom hunting even harder is just like Wes said... there are times (especially on heavy mass crop years) where a buck will only travel a few yards during daylight hours to feed, or drink.
Knowing areas (from post season scouting) where bucks bed that are close to mass trees may help you sneak into a transition area for a crack at a buck.

Hey, and for the record, im just trying to create conversation. I by no means think I am an expert..heck far from, closer to a rookie lol

Anyway, I appreciate yalls "idears" and think this makes for a much better topic rather than all the pissing and moaning that goes on here anymore.

At least were not argueing about a lower buck limit, how bad Rage sucks, and how great Slicks are, how much better Matthews is than any other bow manufacture ever, baiting, if scentlok works or not....hehehehe

Just having fun with the last paragraph. There are plenty of threads on those topics already :)

In my mind, it's not that they are bedding there or even how much consistancy they have to return there, but more how they get to and from there.

That right there is the key to hunting a buck that you believe is heading to a bedding area.

On the Canadian prairies, all morning hunting is done for bucks travelingto bedding areas. We scout them from long distances using spotting scopes and mark the fence or treelines they use. Then, we hang stands accordinglyand when we have good wind for those stands and that travel route, we hunt them. 99% of the time, we have no idea where they are headed nor do we care. We never try to hunt a bedding area. Here in TN, where I hunt, I don't even worry about it because these deer bed wherever they want and usually in a different place every day.

I don't care where a deer beds. I only want to know where hs/she is coming from or going to.

Let me add, the biggest Canadian buck I ever saw, I watched at 7:10 one morning walk just steps outside a wicked thick tree line across a huge field. He walked the entire distance one jump out of the trees and I watched him for close to a mile. At one time, he passed me at about 75-yards so I got a good look and for quite a while. I guessed him to gross 200 and maybe more as a typical 12 with about 26" of spread. We never saw him again.

bowriter said:
In my mind, it's not that they are bedding there or even how much consistancy they have to return there, but more how they get to and from there.

That right there is the key to hunting a buck that you believe is heading to a bedding area.

On the Canadian prairies, all morning hunting is done for bucks travelingto bedding areas. We scout them from long distances using spotting scopes and mark the fence or treelines they use. Then, we hang stands accordinglyand when we have good wind for those stands and that travel route, we hunt them. 99% of the time, [color:#000099]we have no idea where they are headed nor do we care.[/color] We never try to hunt a bedding area. Here in TN, where I hunt, I don't even worry about it because these deer bed wherever they want and usually in a different place every day.

[color:#000099]I don't care where a deer beds. I only want to know where hs/she is coming from or going to[/color].

I can agree, but basically we are doing the same thing...you said you dont care where a deer beds, only want to know where he is coming from or going to.

If a Buck spends the mass majority of the day in a bed, if you see him on his feet during daylight (non rut season) through glass, you can be assured, he is coming or going from or to a bed.

If I were scouting from a far through glass, I would want to see him on this travel route more than one time before I moved in with a stand. I would also want to hang the stand and hunt it right then. Unpressured game imo is also a far different animal to chase than pressured deer, or pulic land deer too.

I am almost positive I killed this buck heading to a bedding area. I am 100% positive I killed him by accident. I was running late getting to a stand and we walked into each other on a sloping point, coming from a picked cornfield. It wasjust coming daylight, just musky light. I stopped behind a tree and got an arrow nocked and shot him at 7-yards as he passed by. I had no idea how big he was, just thathe had good antlers. I'll take luck any time.

aaa-1.jpg

Something ost TN hunters never have to worry about...the invasion of waterfowl on the feeding areas in Canada, can completely move a group of deer from a specific area. The worst are the snow geese and sandhills. However, ducks will do it, too.

resizedducks.jpg

The above is typical hunting habitat where I go in MB. Fields, split at 1-mile intervals by treelines that maybe 50-150 yards wide and a mile long. I am really planning on going back this Sept. if plane fares don't go crazy.

bowriter said:
I am almost positive I killed this buck heading to a bedding area. I am 100% positive I killed him by accident. I was running late getting to a stand and we walked into each other on a sloping point, coming from a picked cornfield. It was just coming daylight, just musky light. I'll take luck any time.

John I am like you here!!! I would rather be LUCKY any day!

I am by no means saying in my post, that I think a bowhunter has to get inside the bedroom to arrow a good buck. I am saying if a bowhunter wants a shot a mature buck, outside the rut, the hunter has got to take into consideration where that buck is bedding. You may have as little as one hour per day when he is going to be on his feet during legal shooting hours.

The only time I would try and get into a mature bucks bedroom and hunt him is when I know the wind will be in favor of my perching within bow range of his actual bed....AND
(gonna get bashed here probably) but it will also have to be during a moon phase where the deer will be under a heavier feeding pattern and may be coming back to the bed a few minutes later than normal. I feel this way because I believe mature bucks (outside the rut) are bedded before sunrise already.

When I went and researched my last 4 years of trail cam pics on mature buck travel, I was shocked to say the least about when and where I found my mature bucks traveling. I done my research based on the time, wind direction and speed, moon phase, and direction they were traveling.

Since then, I have a whole new outlook on trail camera use as well. But thats another topic

Latest posts

Back