• Help Support TNDeer:

Bedding Habits

Yesterday I found a thicket on a point jus above a hardwood bottom. It is peppered with deer beds... I'd say I saw 20 or so... Few rubs. But the trails were like meshwork... I'd be willing to bet that deer are consistently bedding there. The point faces NW so it may be a S wind bedding area, that I'm not so sure about, but it's definately be used.....

BHC sounds like you are right on to me.

That sounds like a fun place place to setup near come pre rut and rut! That point depending on thermal activity could be good from a south wind all the way around to an east wind.

Are the any water sources below that point?

backstraps.......I appreciate the exchange of thoughts. We do seem to agree on most angles here.

071.jpg

The deer above was taken from the heart of Hatchie Bottoms. It was taken from the same area that all the deer below were taken from...all of these deer were taken from the same travel corridor...

elevenpointer2.jpg

both of these within a week of each other from the same stand and area

nov2010deer020.jpg

novbuck2010.jpg

as was this buck .....
Deer_December_2007_003-2.jpg

I spent the majority of 11 years hunting this property, yet only began taking these type deer with any regularity when I found the sweet spot.....and began to hunt all day. Note....I never saw any of these bucks other than the day I shot them. You must be prepared to take advantage of their mistake quickly,imo.

The difference in the first buck at the top and the rest of them is this. My stand was close enough to a cane thicket that I could easily see a deer coming to and from it, I could easily see all sides of this thicket .....I was in the stand an hour before daylight and killed this buck a little after 4:00pm. Believe me when I say that i am not someone that plays video games or sits so still that he can't see around him. I look around all the time, I never fall asleep or take my mind off the hunt while on stand. I remember being stunned when I looked at the cane thicket, turned away for maybe 2-5 seconds then looked back at the cane thicket and this buck was walking out of it headed away from me. I had one opening and within five seconds of first seeing the deer, he was down.

After much thought, I believe that this buck was bedded down in that thicket all day and just stood up at that moment. Was he there when I walked in about 5:00 am? Maybe, actually probably! I made little noise as I walked within about 50 yards of him bedded down in the dark so he saw no need to run. I climbed my tree and sat there while this deer was easily within range the entire time, yet I could not see him....I have little doubt that if I had come in at midday and he was there, I would have bumped him as he would have not been as secure sitting tight in daylight as he was in the dark. My point is that you never know when or where a buck will bed and if it's an older deer, the chances of predicting a bedding pattern gets harder...imo.

I have noticed or maybe the best way to say this is that I have decided that deer will not necessarily leave an area they prefer just because you are there. Instead, they will figure out quickly a way to avoid you. I have watched deer run through an area, not because they are spooked but yet because they do not feel safe there, there is a difference in the two.

I have seen deer blow at and flag an area, not a person or another animal.....maybe they picked up a scent, I have no idea, but I do believe that they retain some sort of memory about places they deem dangerous. Now, when I say that, i do not mean that if you spook a deer in an area, it will avoid it all together. What I am saying is that in my mind the deer will get an uneasy feeling when it comes back through that area. Now, this feeling may subside and eventually go away all together in time, but for a few days or maybe longer , the deer will be every cautious walking through areas that they deem dangerous. My point here is that when a deer spends most of it's day in one location (bed or feed), it seems to absorb everything in it. It knows this place better than anywhere else it goes in a 24 hour period. Such as with a travel corridor, a cautious deer will come back through there getting to it's food or bed, but probably wouldn't bed or feed in an area that it feels uncomfortable...hence the events like deer sprinting through a clearing or cautiously flagging as it walks though areas even though they found little reason to bolt.

the reason that i avoid the bedrooms and the dinner tables is because I believe, like I said, that when deer spend the majority of their day in one location, they know that location better than you ever could. they know every tree, bush, squirrel and every scent associated with that location.

Where a deer may pass through a dangerous area every day, it likely would not bed or feed there....

if you find a bed that seems to be used yearly, then be assured that it was chosen for a reason. And if you plan to hunt this area, you will be detected fairly quickly.

Now, if you are slipping in at midday and setting up several hundred yards away from this area on obvious travel corridors, then that is not what i would call bed hunting.

I was under the impression that you were trying to set up within site of these beds....a huge no-no in my book...lol.

Again, any style hunting should be based on terrain.....

bed hunting in vast timber is not advantageous, imo. No matter the time of day. maybe in cropland where timber is at a minimum thus making bedding areas easier to find and depend on...Since I rarely hunt field edges and actually prefer timber, I do not depend on anything more than my knowledge of how deer move through the area and my ability to be patient.

A different way to look at is this......while traveling via vehicle or on foot, just our movement alone detracts from our abilty to concentrate on things around us. We are very much more in tune with our surroundings while sitting still than when moving. Deer's senses are better than ours, no doubt, yet the sound of their own movement, the fact that they can tell less about motion when they are indeed in motion and even passing though areas that may comprise of differencet scents makes them more vulnerable as they move from point A to B than when they are actually at points a or b....

Again, my tactics lead to quick shots and unless you can judge a deer quickly, make the shot accurately and be willing to move 30 yards to get a better shot angle, then sitting on cropfields or near areas where deer congregate for long periods of time may be your best tactic..(speaking to everyone here). Me, I hang a stand in the thickest, nastiest places I can find on a piece of property (after much aerial study)and am prefectly happy when deer pass by me and are gone within seconds....I get busted less that way...lol.

goodluck and thanks again for the discussion....

if my rambling confused anyone, please don't hesitate to ask/discuss..LOL!!!!!!!

I am no expert, to say the least, but I do know what seems to work for me....

Your logic makes perfect sense to me. And yes we are on the same page. In an area like you had mentioned, I know you are not actually hunting his bedroom itself. You are setting up in the hallway between bedroom and kitchen :)

I am basically saying, in my way of thinking, finding where the buck is bedding is priority one. You can decide a stategic plan on moving in for a shot then.

Finding a known bedding source such as you found, helps prove my theory somewhat as well. When a mature buck beds, you can be assured, that buck didnt randomly lay down there. That bed is in an area where that buck will see, hear or smell anything coming in on him from all directions. In these buck bedding areas, when a mature buck is harvested out of that beddng site, another buck will take his place.

Mature bucks doesnt wonder around aimlessly through the woods and takes up a spot to bed unless he feels safe.

I know if a buck bedding area, where within 6 years, I have not been able to figure a way of hunting this site yet. So some bedding site are just unhuntable too. There may be a morning where feeding patterns have in coming in a few mins later than normal, but I think for the most part a mature buck is bedding before sunrise (outside rut period)

I will say this though, there are times when I would set up on a buck bed, and be within range of it...however everything has to line up perfectly for this hunt to take place...and usually it wont line up but 1-2 times per the entire season.

I have tried to keep this thread going to invite conversation, and discussion for a few reasons. I appreciate all the replies. I am not trying to sell anything LOL, just trying to help myself confirm what I am thinking...if that makes sense! I have not been hunting nearly as many years as most on this site. However, I have came to a point where older bucks are what I am after and mature bucks are on a whole new level of play when it comes to hunting deer.

My main thought is this:
A hunter that goes into the woods post season and scouts out both doe bedding areas (for rut hunting) and buck beds, will only be increasing his odds of setting up on a mature buck come season.
I think that the most important piece of the puzzle in hunting mature bucks is to find where he is sleeping.

I do think topographical maps, as well as aerials can provide excellent starting points to locating mature buck bedding.

I do think the location of buck bedding can be predicted by the wind direction and thermal activity.

From there you can decide where,when and how to hunt the buck.

Oh an by the way, those are some very nice deer! CONGRATS on them all!

While I completely agree and understand your thinking that deer use certain beds for certain reasons, much like they use certain trails over others, I must interject another thought.

Food....and pressure, of course.

the closer a mature deer can bed to a preferred food source, the better off they are, and they know it. I have seen mature deer bed down in cropfields. i told a story on here years ago about a friend and I setting up on opposite ends of a huge bean field and I watched a mature doe cross the field on her belly to keep from being seen by my friend. it worked. Every so often, she would pop her head up and look at him in the stand and then duck back down and move further over...there are so many things that deer do that we as hunters never see....In that very field, some 50 plus acres, we have watched deer not walk into the field, but pop up out in the middle and feed and then simply lay back down. of course, when the field was cut, they left....

the thing is that most hunters never hunt mature deer because they do not know they are even there...The only way to be sure that one is there is to see him and do so on more than one occasion...if that is possible. Since I have never killed a nice buck that i saw before the actual shot, I have no idea how to hunt one. Instead of trying to hunt a particular deer, I hunt where I would go if I was a mature deer. I know where I have killed nice deer before, many of them mature, so I just try to replicate that scenario...you may nt hunt the same place every season, but you need to try to replicate the situation on a new property by seeking out similar setup to those that were successful for you in the past....deer may be individuals but in most cases they like the same things.

But, back to this somewhat permanent bedding idea, I'm not completely on board here. here's why....

YES...deer may bed in the same area for years based on the lack of pressure there and the amount of available food...if either of these things change, the area will change.

if a mature deer gets taken out of an area, then I guess another deer will move in to take his place, yet I'm not sure how the one deer would know that the other is gone....

Many things CAN change on a piece of property....timber removal, land clearing and even crops change. if any of this happens, then you might need to change your plan. But.....in most cases, the lay of the land is the last thing or most times the ONLY thing that does not change. Food sources change, pressure may change , weather conditions may disrupt things abit or there may be other circumstances surrounding a piece of property that determine how deer use it. Deer may change times they move, how much they move or even how far they are willing to go for food, but rarely will they change HOW they get to and from their destination. again, the one factor that is least likely to change is the lay of the land.....making it the most common factor in success....

if a predominantly cropfilled property turns to set aside for a few years and no fruit or nut trees are nearby and the closest SUBSTANTIAL food source is 1-2 miles away, then I believe that a mature deer will pick a place much closer to that source to bed, especially if it's 2 miles or even further away. no matter how much it wants to bed in it's usually familiar place, it knows that the more it is on it's feet, the more danger it is in....imo.

The key word is SUBSTANTIAL, meaning crop fields, large oak flats with ample nuts and even where someone is feeding them every day. Deer are very adaptable creatures, that's why they have been so successful....but they can't survive without a full belly and most times food takes precedence over safety, but bedding closer to food makes much more sense than traveling too far to feed...imo. Bedding in a place not quite as safe as the more familiar bedding sites that he prefers may not make sense to us, but can deer really figure these things out?

Now if a deer can bed down in the same spot every day, not be disturbed and has plenty of food nearby, then YES, he will bed there every day......

i do not believe that deer have a preferred bed to the extent that humans have a preferred easy chair.....and I believe that deer are far less likely to bed down in the same place every night if it means traveling 2 plus miles one way to feed. Instead they will bed closer by until the food source runs out , much like humans moving around for work.....

Again, if nothing changes , leading to the deer feeling uncomfortable or food runs out, then YES it may indeed bed in exactly the same bed every day without fail....

But, when we figure everything out, it stops being fun to me....

enjoy.

Both some good post by BH and Poser

BBH: I too agree whole heartedly, that pressure more than anything can change a bucks bedding pattern. Food and water sources as well. I am by no means saying once a mature buck finds a bed he likes he will use it every night...thats just not so. However, if his habitat hasnt changed, and pressure hasnt bumped him out... and the wind is blowing in a direction that allows him to have his perimeter covered, I think he will be there.

For instance, the cane area that BH has harvested those deer from...I would be so curious if he could go to wunderground.com View the dates and times the big boys were harvested, check the wind directions for simularities? He isnt going to be in that bed if one coridor of the bedroom has let its guard down.

I may be all wet, but from my pass four years of trail cam pics, observations, and notes
I just found huge simularities of when and where these bucks enter and exit bedding areas.

Poser: the thing I like about your replies, your deer are target bucks. Target bucks require much more planning I think. I know one of the bucks I am after, I recognize his tracks now. I know over the last 3 years, he has only beeb seen outside of his core bedding areas during 4 days of the season... Nov 14-18th

Last season, I took a gamble and setup on where I thought he would be coming to bed from, it was post rut, and a morning where conditions were perfect to maybe be able to catch him coming to bed a few minutes later than normal.

My hunch was correct as to the bedding area he would be entering. Just so happened though he was using and entrance that only allowed me to be as close as 150 yards away. Watching a buck with a cage big enough to see light between his tines at 150yds with my bare eyes made me want him even more!!!

Before season even ended last year, I was trying to figure a way of hunting him smarter!

SO, my hats off to all you guys that continue to harvest mature bucks year after year. I know you have things figured out to what works for you.

Thats my purpose of being around the campfire picking yalls brains :) Im not trying to argue my point of view, just looking for the critical side of my thoughts and what works for other :)

102, I have studied a lot of what you have had to say as well, especially in comparison to my hunting areas.

This hopefully is a good thread for others to read and possibly pick up on something different to try on their own?!

backstraps,
The BEST teacher is experience. But experience takes time. Who has that???

For me, the next best teacher, is to listen to a successful hunter, or hunters, as they tell of their experiences with why, what, and how they did what they did, and the results achieved.

There are MANY really good points expressed throughout this thread. One of my favorite was by BH when he wrote that the DAY HE KILLS THE BUCK IS THE FIRST TIME HE HAS SEEN THE BUCK!!!
Those are words I live by.

THere are many implications in this statement not the least of which is that MAYBE this means that a hunter would be wise to hunt places where deer will BE, and NOT where the deer IS at the time of your scouting.

I do the VAST majority of my scouting in January and February AFTER deer season is over. I find terrain features (bottlenecks or funnels) where large tracks are common. THese areas are recorded in my field notes as are any and all mature buck sightings and breeding doe ("twitchy doe) sightings.

It is unreal how many times I have hunted new areas in different states or counties where I have ZERO experience and found these same terrain features and found mature deer.

THe fun and enjoyment of this great sport is indeed in the journey. It is NOT rocket science.

If I had one piece of advice about killing old, mature bucks it is this. Hunt for the purpose of enjoyment and recreation. DO NOT MAKE IT A JOB. It does not pay well at all and may destroy your family. Try to make hunting for mature bucks a YEAR round endeavor, this will spread out the amount of time necessary that it will take to pursue these animals on PUBLIC land.

Adjust your expectations to animals that are GOOD representatives for THE AREA that you are hunting. You will NOT be killing very many 125 inch bucks on public land ANYWHERE!!! No matter WHAT the TV says. THese are the TROPHIES that you want to pursue and in MOST cases in Tennessee, will be mature for a public land buck.

I too am a student of other hunters......no matter their age or their experience levels....

Just last week, a friend and I were out and about and stopped in Dancyville for a bite to eat. great eatery, if you ever find yourself near there.....it's at the junction of hwy 76 and dancyville road...can't miss it, it's where all the pickups are parked.

Anyway, while we were eating I got to listening to a couple of young farm hands talking deer hunting. Not sure what started the conversation or even who these guys were, but they seemed to think they knew everything there was to know about deer...

I was waiting for one of them to ask for some advice, but neither did...lol!!!

As I listened to them, it took me back about 35 years to a day when no one could tell me much of anything, yet even today I can not think of anything any further from the truth....

The most important lesson that I have learned over the years is this.....No one should ever tell YOu how to hunt. You go when and where you want, stay as long as you want and kill what you want. When it goes beyond that, then it's no longer YOUR choice and YOUR hunt. Sure, if you need advice, or think that you do, then I assure you that there are thousands of hunters out there willing to talk, if you're willing to listen...lol.

The thing is that unless you are comfortable with the strategy that you have adopted, then it won't work for you, no matter how many times it has worked for other people...imo. i never had a dad or an older brother that deer hunted. I never had a friend to show me what to do . I merely learned by watching, listening and many years of stand time. i think all kids shoot learn the basics from a relative or older friend but never adopt the same style or strategy unless they are comfortable with it.

Shoot guys, I'll never defend my style or ask you to defend your style just because it's not my style.....

if you are killing 150 class deer by standing on a 55 gallon drum, drinking koolaid and whistling DIXIE, then more power to ya.......but you'll never catch me doing it..lol.

My point is each hunter should pick their own way of enjoying the hunt. Comparing thoughts and strategies on here should be both entertaining and informative and should never be about who is right and who is wrong....because neither are.

enjoy the process

Latest posts

Back