• Help Support TNDeer:

Best fish finder for the money

Kirk":3mggt7kt said:
No he handles Lowrance , Humingbird, Garmin. Minkota and Motorguide.

There is also a guy on Facebook that has some good deals on electronics.

Not posting either sources information on here because they are not TNdeer.com sponsors.

Understand. Was just curious if he carried the others.

Ruger I found you one
https://nashville.craigslist.org/bpo/5960440148.html
67e47fffd0ed3f9df8cfa1b00fda89f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take alook at the all new helix mega the are really nice units and you can run the smartstrike in them as well mapping on these units are top notch to.i know a guy that does their mapping and it is unreal waht he puts boats in just for the mapping but it shows when you turn one of their units on.buy a mega and you will not be disappointed

Well guys, thanks for all the recommendations and advice.
I looked at several depth finders (fish finders, sonars whatever you want to call them) this weekend.

For my budget and for what I want it for I really believe I am gonna go with the Garmin Striker 7 SV.
I really liked the looks of this unit and I liked the buttons on it. One of the things I wasn't crazy about on my last one was the buttons were tiny and hard for me to use while rocking back and forth in the boat.

I know there are better ones out there but for where I fish and how I fish I honestly believe this one will be the cat's meow for me.

If I had some more coin I would probably go with the Lowrance Elite 7 Ti but for now I just can't go that route.
Now I am gonna hit Kirks dude up and see what kind of deal we can work out. :D

RUGER":1qgks3jl said:
I looked at several depth finders (fish finders, sonars whatever you want to call them) this weekend.

For my budget and for what I want it for I really believe I am gonna go with the Garmin Striker 7 SV.
I really liked the looks of this unit and I liked the buttons on it. One of the things I wasn't crazy about on my last one was the buttons were tiny and hard for me to use while rocking back and forth in the boat.

I know there are better ones out there but for where I fish and how I fish I honestly believe this one will be the cat's meow for me.

If I had some more coin I would probably go with the Lowrance Elite 7 Ti but for now I just can't go that route.

in the process of rigging mine will see how it turns out lol. a lot of folks are buying them. one thing i have found, dont run the ducer cable near a trolling motor cabling. keep at least an inch space between them.

one thing i did find out the reason i had to wait 6 months to find them was because they were in suit with the other makers. seems like garmin hired 7 Navico (parent company of lowrance) employees and 3 is named on the patent for their down image technology. according to garmin, the only thing they changed was the name to clearvu and increased the sonar cone angle. then they agreed to settle with Johnson(hummingbird) to liscense their side imaging technology.

so by those accounts that may be the reason garmin is on par with lowrance and hummingbird,
well up to a point because a $500 unit wont compare to a 2-4000 dollar unit just because of the processing power those have in their head units.

That's pretty interesting. :D

I am honestly waiting on you to make my final decision as well. LOL

I can't wait to see a screenshot of some beds from yours (if you don't mind sharing) :)

I am still a few weeks out from making the actual purchase either way.

WTM":10tu1b12 said:
RUGER":10tu1b12 said:

in the process of rigging mine will see how it turns out lol. a lot of folks are buying them. one thing i have found, dont run the ducer cable near a trolling motor cabling. keep at least an inch space between them.

one thing i did find out the reason i had to wait 6 months to find them was because they were in suit with the other makers. seems like garmin hired 7 Navico (parent company of lowrance) employees and 3 is named on the patent for their down image technology. according to garmin, the only thing they changed was the name to clearvu and increased the sonar cone angle. then they agreed to settle with Johnson(hummingbird) to liscense their side imaging technology.

so by those accounts that may be the reason garmin is on par with lowrance and hummingbird,
well up to a point because a $500 unit wont compare to a 2-4000 dollar unit just because of the processing power those have in their head units.

Wtm ,are you installing the transducer on the front,

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

no transom mount for now, but my trolling motor wiring runs through the same cable trough. if this unit does pretty good then i will probably upgrade to a 9 or 10 in unit for the console and run this one on the trolling motor, in a year or two.

WTM":2ktwo6dw said:
no transom mount for now, but my trolling motor wiring runs through the same cable trough. if this unit does pretty good then i will probably upgrade to a 9 or 10 in unit for the console and run this one on the trolling motor, in a year or two.
My transducer is ran in the trough with my trolling motor wires and it does fine.Make sure you run power wires to the start battery and fuse as close to the battery as possible.Wished I would have took some pics last weekend,found some good steak beds and a tree that looked awsome[emoji3]

k great thanks for the info. i was going to come off the fuse panel under the console but decided to run direct to battery like you said.

i wore em out a couple of weeks ago, during that warm spell, up at that place you know between pilot knob and bass bay. made me laugh, there were 5 kids in an 18 ft boat, borrowed boat at that, running spider rig. rods front and back, talking about action packed, it was hilarious watching them trying to keep up. when i left, they had 60 keepers.

WTM":17uilnzx said:
k great thanks for the info. i was going to come off the fuse panel under the console but decided to run direct to battery like you said.

i wore em out a couple of weeks ago, during that warm spell, up at that place you know between pilot knob and bass bay. made me laugh, there were 5 kids in an 18 ft boat, borrowed boat at that, running spider rig. rods front and back, talking about action packed, it was hilarious watching them trying to keep up. when i left, they had 60 keepers.
Hahaha[emoji3]

Not the best pic but something i found yesterday probally pvc structure.First actual screenshot I have saved on my lowrance hds 7 touch,usually just take a pic with my phone.
4f25d2daf4113eefc75ab216c0f72c94.jpg

I saw the garmin 73sv is on sale at bass pro for 499 for the spring fishing classic, the helix 7 has a 50 rebate making it 649. I have a 798 and 598 hummin bird and i like both of them the 598 is a bit small though. The helix is nice and so are the lowrance 7 in down side units.

rocket04":jutblsst said:
I saw the garmin 73sv is on sale at bass pro for 499 for the spring fishing classic, the helix 7 has a 50 rebate making it 649. I have a 798 and 598 hummin bird and i like both of them the 598 is a bit small though. The helix is nice and so are the lowrance 7 in down side units.

that 73sv is the first gen model with the GT40 xducer which is 77/200khz, still a good deal for 499. the newest chirp models use 455/800khz which bring in more detail on sidevu and downvu, you can find those at the gps store for 650 and the 93sv for 850 bucks. wish i had waited and bought the 93sv chirp now since i still dont have my 7sv installed from last year. hope garmin comes out with the 1200khz mega side view since they are now liscensing their sidevu tech from hummingbird, then maybe they will drop that 93 sv chirp to 499 lol.

WTM":1r8hoosp said:
rocket04":1r8hoosp said:

that 73sv is the first gen model with the GT40 xducer which is 77/200khz, still a good deal for 499. the newest chirp models use 455/800khz which bring in more detail on sidevu and downvu, you can find those at the gps store for 650 and the 93sv for 850 bucks. wish i had waited and bought the 93sv chirp now since i still dont have my 7sv installed from last year. hope garmin comes out with the 1200khz mega side view since they are now liscensing their sidevu tech from hummingbird, then maybe they will drop that 93 sv chirp to 499 lol.

Just mail that 7SV to me and I will put it on my boat. ;)

RUGER":tr4xaqfs said:
WTM":tr4xaqfs said:
rocket04":tr4xaqfs said:

Just mail that 7SV to me and I will put it on my boat. ;)

lol, i bet. ill have it on shortly. ran into a snag with the boat warranty. got to take it to a tracker center this weekend and let them mount the transducer or i void that 10 year warranty i bought. go figure.

Latest posts

Back