• Help Support TNDeer:

Glass Boat Questions

If you are not anti-facebook, you can find some pretty good deals on marketplace. The biggest gripe I have with facebook is that people list boats they don't really want to sell. It all depends on your budget. I would not worry about the age of the hull and stress cracks. Its not uncommon to see 40 year old makos with brand new engines. The best ride I have been in is probably Skeeter and Ranger comes in 2nd.

At the end of the day, unless you REALLY know how to drive a boat the TN river is gonna make any bass boat feel inadequate. Just buy what you like. You are gonna get fans of every brand in threads like these
You haven't rode in a ranger 522,they are about as good as it gets in a bass boat.Im sure there are others out there but a 522 ranger is hard to beat.In my buddies 522 we were running 60/70mph in big white cap swells,my 196 triton would have beat your guts out in the same conditions.

I'd have put my Allison against any other other boat on the water for ride quality. I'd slice through 3 foot rollers and not even spill my tea. There is a reason 20 year old Allison's still bring $30 grand. I've driven almost every brand of glass boat built between 1990 and 2018 when I quit tournament fishing. You can pick any quality hull and rig it right… motor height. Set back. Prop . And handle all but the worst and scariest of situations. I always loved Champions. Skeeters are ok but as some have mentioned.. loud . Tritons are ok. I never cared for any Ranger I rode in really. Basscat makes a great boat. Legend,Phoenix, and a couple others are pretty good boats but nothing I'd say are amazing.

If you are not anti-facebook, you can find some pretty good deals on marketplace. The biggest gripe I have with facebook is that people list boats they don't really want to sell. It all depends on your budget. I would not worry about the age of the hull and stress cracks. Its not uncommon to see 40 year old makos with brand new engines. The best ride I have been in is probably Skeeter and Ranger comes in 2nd.
Not worrying about stress cracks and the condition of the hull is a good way to end up with a boat that is worth far less than you paid.

Every time I bought a boat I would hire a marine surveyor to inspect the hull. I walked away from many "good deals" because a boat had structural issues.

Not worrying about stress cracks and the condition of the hull is a good way to end up with a boat that is worth far less than you paid.

Every time I bought a boat I would hire a marine surveyor to inspect the hull. I walked away from many "good deals" because a boat had structural issues.
I was not implying dont inspect the hull or that if you see stress cracks, don't worry about it. I am saying dont worry so much about the age which the op specifically mentioned. Typical issues around here would be the transom and rotting flooring. Flooring typically rots because they left it out uncovered. Transom issues are typically the result of hitting something with the motor running down the lake. Both are relatively easy to spot if you know what you are looking for. I have bought and sold allot of boats over the last 40 years and never heard anyone mention having the hull inspected by a marine surveyor but I don't live along the coast. People just inspect it themselves. I would not hesitate to buy a 20 year old boat hull. As a matter of fact, I own one now. I would be far more concerned with the engine. You should always test the compression before you buy and that's not a 100% guarantee the engine doesn't have issues.

Last edited:
Why not just get a 21-22' bay boat? The ride will be much better than a bass hull and most of the bay boats draft in 15" of water.
With you on that but I'm partial to them. They are WAY more comfortable to fish out of that anything I have driven, sat, and fished out of.

My 20' Scout drafts 10" and my buddy's 22' Black Jack 12-14".

I had an 18 foot bay boat for 7 or 8 years which I fished both in fresh and saltwater. I got rid of it because I stopped saltwater fishing as much and I didn't care for bass fishing out of it. It was fine for any other type fishing. It did have a 115 Johnson ocean runner on it that I wish I had kept.

I was not implying dont inspect the hull or that if you see stress cracks, don't worry about it. I am saying dont worry so much about the age which the op specifically mentioned. Typical issues around here would be the transom and rotting flooring. Flooring typically rots because they left it out uncovered. Transom issues are typically the result of hitting something with the motor running down the lake. Both are relatively easy to spot if you know what you are looking for. I have bought and sold allot of boats over the last 40 years and never heard anyone mention having the hull inspected by a marine surveyor but I don't live along the coast. People just inspect it themselves. I would not hesitate to buy a 20 year old boat hull. As a matter of fact, I own one now. I would be far more concerned with the engine. You should always test the compression before you buy and that's not a 100% guarantee the engine doesn't have issues.
You giving it a quick once over and worrying about the outboard is fine, keep doing that. I personally think having a professional evaluate the boat for $500 is a fine investment. Especially with how much money I was spending on boats at one point.

Have you ever evaluated the stringers on any boat you bought? I learned this the hard way when rebuilding an old Morgan. I knew the transom and deck needed to be rebuilt.... But it cost me an extra $15k to have the stringers removed and new ones installed... That boat still drifts Boca Grande each afternoon and the hull is from the 80s.

Have you ever used a moisture meter when evaluating a boat? Have you ever climbed in the bilge to inspect thru-hull fittings? What about a phenolic hammer?

Lund or Alumacraft semi v. Both ride like a Cadillac and will handle much rougher water. It is very comforting knowing you are inside the boat instead of on top of it when traveling. My Alumacraft T195 could hit 50 mph with 2 adults and full fuel tank, 200 hp Yamaha.
Not what you asked about but a semi V well built aluminum boat is an awesome fishing platform for Tennessee.

You giving it a quick once over and worrying about the outboard is fine, keep doing that. I personally think having a professional evaluate the boat for $500 is a fine investment. Especially with how much money I was spending on boats at one point.

Have you ever evaluated the stringers on any boat you bought? I learned this the hard way when rebuilding an old Morgan. I knew the transom and deck needed to be rebuilt.... But it cost me an extra $15k to have the stringers removed and new ones installed... That boat still drifts Boca Grande each afternoon and the hull is from the 80s.

Have you ever used a moisture meter when evaluating a boat? Have you ever climbed in the bilge to inspect thru-hull fittings? What about a phenolic hammer?
No, I have never evaluated stringers on a boat. I have had to replace stringers. My early days of buying boats, I did not check the boat for soft spots thoroughly enough and ended up ripping up the floor and replacing the floor and the stringers. In addition to learning the importance of thoroughly inspecting the floor no matter how good it looks, I also learned that anytime you have to rip up the floor, there is a good chance you will have to deal with the stringers. I also learned allot about fiberglassing.

I'd have put my Allison against any other other boat on the water for ride quality. I'd slice through 3 foot rollers and not even spill my tea. There is a reason 20 year old Allison's still bring $30 grand. I've driven almost every brand of glass boat built between 1990 and 2018 when I quit tournament fishing. You can pick any quality hull and rig it right… motor height. Set back. Prop . And handle all but the worst and scariest of situations. I always loved Champions. Skeeters are ok but as some have mentioned.. loud . Tritons are ok. I never cared for any Ranger I rode in really. Basscat makes a great boat. Legend,Phoenix, and a couple others are pretty good boats but nothing I'd say are amazing.

1000% agree with this comment and anyone who has ridden in an Allison XB-21 would also agree….

LThere is a reason that's the best selling boat on those lakes where the wind blows ALL THE TIME. I'd go with a LUND.

ACTUALLY, it's the reason I switched over to a center console from a flats boat to fish here on the coast. Good luck with your search
Funds catch too much wind,not a good livescope
Why not just get a 21-22' bay boat? The ride will be much better than a bass hull and most of the bay boats draft in 15" of water.
Most boys catch more wind when fishing ,they are nice in the rough stuff though.

I think your talking about a different kind of boat.This thread Is about opunions on a used fiberglass bass boat.I don't know anyone that would pay $500 for someone to inspect a used bass boat they are looking at buying.You can open the back bilge compartment in most and see the through hull fitting or there may be an access panel.

One similar to this will take the waves good 😜😂
200.gif

With you on that but I'm partial to them. They are WAY more comfortable to fish out of that anything I have driven, sat, and fished out of.

My 20' Scout drafts 10" and my buddy's 22' Black Jack 12-14".
My guide down in the gulf has a Blackjack 256, there is one in my future within the next 2 years.

Latest posts

Back