• Help Support TNDeer:

How Many Have You Killed?

Started deer hunting 17 years ago, I told my buddies that I just wanted to kill 1. To see what it was like…
Up to 91 total now, I think I'm hooked. Pictures of first good buck and most recent good buck.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.webp
    IMG_1101.webp
    130 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7139.webp
    IMG_7139.webp
    309.3 KB · Views: 3
That's impressive. I bet taking all those deer off your own property makes you feel good.
Yes and No. I bought the land in 1991. The first few years were all about learning the land and how the deer reacted to pressure. Lots of trial and error. I honed in on high percentage spots and it became sort of routine. I don't pressure the land much and sort of limit my hunting to specific bucks. I miss the early days when it was all about learning. Now that I am older I value seeing deer over killing deer. I could have killed 4 different bucks last year but just ran scope video instead. I suspect I would still pull the trigger on a really big buck if it walked by.

Yes and No. I bought the land in 1991. The first few years were all about learning the land and how the deer reacted to pressure. Lots of trial and error. I honed in on high percentage spots and it became sort of routine. I don't pressure the land much and sort of limit my hunting to specific bucks. I miss the early days when it was all about learning. Now that I am older I value seeing deer over killing deer. I could have killed 4 different bucks last year but just ran scope video instead. I suspect I would still pull the trigger on a really big buck if it walked by.
Because we keep changing the habitat on my place, the learning never stops! What was a super hot spot for a while suddenly goes dead because of habitat changes (and hunting pressure). We have to go find the new hot spot. A continuous learning process.

Went back and counted. Started in 1982. I used to avg two a year, but have since slowed that down a bit to around one deer every other year.
I document the dates, weather, key elements, etc. But its just in a word doc and the data isn't really used for anything.

Rough count for me:
46 deer
6 Coyote (doesn't include ones I've killed in the back yard)
1 beaver
2 Fox
3 Bobcat
Forgot to count the turkeys

Last edited:
Went back and counted. Started in 1982. I used to avg two a year, but have since slowed that down a bit to around one deer every other year.
I document the dates, weather, key elements, etc. But its just in a word doc and the data isn't really used for anything.

Rough count for me:
46 deer
6 Coyote (doesn't include ones I've killed in the back yard)
1 beaver
2 Fox
3 Bobcat
Forgot to count the turkeys
You forgot a partridge in a pear tree brother 😉

Because we keep changing the habitat on my place, the learning never stops! What was a super hot spot for a while suddenly goes dead because of habitat changes (and hunting pressure). We have to go find the new hot spot. A continuous learning process.

I think that's what I love so much about habitat work. It's a whole new learning curve and makes it possible to reshuffle the deck for a new hand as it pertains to hunting. Keeps it from becoming stagnant. Every season is different.

I think that's what I love so much about habitat work. It's a whole new learning curve and makes it possible to reshuffle the deck for a new hand as it pertains to hunting. Keeps it from becoming stagnant. Every season is different.
Exactly. Well said Ski.

North of 300 probably closer to 350 all public land. A lot of 3 a day does. I killed double digits from 2001 -2018 I reckon. I killed enough to feed all of work one year. I kept getting asked to kill one for people and killed north of 50 that year. Said I'd never Do that again but ended up killing north of 30 the next year. lol. With our large family I needed 11 to not buy beef for the year.

That's impressive, great job!

I take a picture of every harvest and put it in photo album with the date, location, weapon and time of day. Just went trough book an broke it down , started hunting in 2016
Killed 33
Private buck 11
Private doe 13
Public buck 2
Public doe 7
Coyote 2
Bobcat 1
Shot 6 or 7 more that I never recovered

I can come up with a guess, but it's only a guess. More importantly though, i was hunting with my father on the day he took his last and biggest buck. I was there the days that both my sons took there first deer, both decent bucks. I was also there the day my grandson took his first buck, though in a different stand. His daddy was with him to celebrate that moment. I'm hoping to be there as my grand daughter takes her first deer, time will tell. All in all, i have zero regrets during my deer hunting career. Although there was that one BIG boy i couldn't get a shot at. But he's another story.

Killed my first deer in 1997. First turkey in 2004. I keep track of kills in a spreadsheet with weapon, distance, and weather. So here goes:

49 turkeys
24 whitetail bucks
22 whitetail does
6 antelope
5 mule deer bucks
2 pigs
1 elk

Also many hogs, squirrels, coyotes, and elk, a mule deer, and a few other animals not including MANY, MANY fish..

Latest posts

Back