• Help Support TNDeer:

Interesting discussion video on Asian carp with Frank Fiss

Re: Interesting discussion video on Asian carp with Frank Fi

Listening to bits and pieces it sure sounds like this is a problem that's gotten out of control with no real good universal solution. It's sad because it has effected some real good fisheries.

the carp that are in the lake right now are probably the 3 year old fish that were spawned in 2015. if they have a successful spawn in the next year or two then we may be in trouble.

When will we hear the results of the sound deterant at Barkley Lock?

Since apparently they are not responding to electric shock well , the sound wave modulations at the locks could be the answer in part.

If they eat as good as everyone says , maybe bumping the prices up for the Commercial Fisherman to harvest them as a good source would help with the issue as well.

With all this rain i bet they have a successful spawn this year,hope im wrong.
WTM":3c2muod7 said:
the carp that are in the lake right now are probably the 3 year old fish that were spawned in 2015. if they have a successful spawn in the next year or two then we may be in trouble.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Smo":3pjng0p6 said:

Since apparently they are not responding to electric shock well , the sound wave modulations at the locks could be the answer in part.

If they eat as good as everyone says , maybe bumping the prices up for the Commercial Fisherman to harvest them as a good source would help with the issue as well.
There gonna start bumping prices,but i think commerical fishermen need more.Gonna try to make it were they get $0.20 a lb and give the buyer $0.03 a lb i think.

bluball":kw4i3cz2 said:
Smo":kw4i3cz2 said:

There gonna start bumping prices,but i think commerical fishermen need more.Gonna try to make it were they get $0.20 a lb and give the buyer $0.03 a lb i think.

FLW pro Tom Monsoor is also a commercial fisherman up north on the great lakes. He says if they can get the price right commercial guys from up there can come pull 60-80,000 pounds every time they bring in their nets. It wouldn't take long to get them under control at least at that rate. It's all about the money!

Need a higher paying market,thatvwould make a huge difference
chunkandwind":2mm1s6ok said:
bluball":2mm1s6ok said:
Smo":2mm1s6ok said:

FLW pro Tom Monsoor is also a commercial fisherman up north on the great lakes. He says if they can get the price right commercial guys from up there can come pull 60-80,000 pounds every time they bring in their nets. It wouldn't take long to get them under control at least at that rate. It's all about the money!

What is the average size carp you Guys are seeing 2 to 5 lbs or 5 lbs plus?

If they are as good to eat as everyone says, you would think they would bring more money.

Now would be the prime time to stop them from advancing any further up the river system here.

You probably could never wipe them out, but I bet you could put a dent in the population.

I can't help but to think while these carp invaded the Mississippi River for the past 18 -20 years, the state agencies and many outdoorsmen across Tennessee sat around and never said a word while these carp destroyed some dang good fishing ground. Now they are invading the areas on the Tennessee River and its tributaries, everybody's wanting to have an all out war against these fish.

Sorry, for my lack of concern.

Not much you can do without the funds.I say in a couple yrs between ky dam and pickwick will be a different lake.
UpperTully":3kh1pupq said:
I can't help but to think while these carp invaded the Mississippi River for the past 18 -20 years, the state agencies and many outdoorsmen across Tennessee sat around and never said a word while these carp destroyed some dang good fishing ground. Now they are invading the areas on the Tennessee River and its tributaries, everybody's wanting to have an all out war against these fish.

Sorry, for my lack of concern.

That's what they've said for years but they didn't have no problem finding 250k of fuel tax funds to pay commercial fisherman to catch carp including 30k in nets to give away once these carp got in the Tennessee River.

UpperTully":1777qcqw said:
That's what they've said for years but they didn't have no problem finding 250k of fuel tax funds to pay commercial fisherman to catch carp including 30k in nets to give away once these carp got in the Tennessee River.
Thats nothing,if thats all they can come up with it will be bad.Lake property value will drop,wont be many boaters in the lake,big tournaments wont be held on ky lake,motels stores and other lake businesses will close.The first thing people dont understand is noone really has an answer.Alot of locals think its going to be easy and others dont care.Hunting and fishing is a big part of giving youth something to do besides regular sports,maybe they can figure something out.

UpperTully":38v8tqrt said:

That's pennies compared to what's needed. They are putting 10's of millions of dollars into keeping them out of the great lakes.

Yep,everyone wants to blame the wildlife agencies.Try to build a 10 million dollar mansion on a hundred thousand dollar budget and see how far you get[emoji23]
chunkandwind":38upz9jw said:
UpperTully":38upz9jw said:

That's pennies compared to what's needed. They are putting 10's of millions of dollars into keeping them out of the great lakes.

I hope i am wrong but the Asian carp are here to stay i don't think commercial fishermen is enough to keep the numbers down.One female Asian carp can lay as many as a million eggs so if the commercial fishermen remove a million Asian carp a year just one female can replace that in one successful spawn..I don't no what needs to be done.But in 4 or 5 years from now they will be totally out of control.

bluball":3fgu89hj said:
Yep,everyone wants to blame the wildlife agencies.Try to build a 10 million dollar mansion on a hundred thousand dollar budget and see how far you get[emoji23]
chunkandwind":3fgu89hj said:
UpperTully":3fgu89hj said:

The point I was making, we were invaded by these carp on the Mississippi River almost 20 years ago. TWRA was dead silent while we were losing a lot of good places to catch bass, bream and crappie in the Mississippi River oxbows, chutes and tributaries in Tennessee. 20+ years ago, those areas were covered with fishermen and fishing camps, now they look like ghost towns. Since these fish are in the Tennessee River and heading for East Tennessee. Everyone is in a hizzy and recently putting forth an actual effort to do something to control the species.

I dont care if TWRA put's their entire budget towards eradicating these Asian Carp, they're here to stay.

UpperTully":2etys2r2 said:
bluball":2etys2r2 said:
chunkandwind":2etys2r2 said:
UpperTully said:

The point I was making, we were invaded by these carp on the Mississippi River almost 20 years ago. TWRA was dead silent while we were losing a lot of good places to catch bass, bream and crappie in the Mississippi River oxbows, chutes and tributaries in Tennessee. 20+ years ago, those areas were covered with fishermen and fishing camps, now they look like ghost towns. Since these fish are in the Tennessee River and heading for East Tennessee. Everyone is in a hizzy and recently putting forth an actual effort to do something to control the species.

I dont care if TWRA put's their entire budget towards eradicating these Asian Carp, they're here to stay.
Yep,agree there here to stay.No one really knows the cure,thats the real problem.

its hard to keep them out regardless, they are survivors. the mississippi is better for spawns because of the higher current strength. they require at least 2 mph current and a 50 mile length of water to successfully spawn so there would be very few places on the Tennessee system for them to spawn, if the research is correct on spawning month of june. my hope is there will be enough commercial interest in them to cut them in half and the other half will die out. pipe dream i know but just maybe.

they really need to put the hammer down on live bait transport if they have a successful spawn as well. people need to be aware of the differences between carp and shad, along with cleaning their boats and motors to combat the zebra mussel.

WTM":1pmguoex said:
its hard to keep them out regardless, they are survivors. the mississippi is better for spawns because of the higher current strength. they require at least 2 mph current and a 50 mile length of water to successfully spawn so there would be very few places on the Tennessee system for them to spawn, if the research is correct on spawning month of june. my hope is there will be enough commercial interest in them to cut them in half and the other half will die out. pipe dream i know but just maybe.

they really need to put the hammer down on live bait transport if they have a successful spawn as well. people need to be aware of the differences between carp and shad, along with cleaning their boats and motors to combat the zebra mussel.
What about the duck,you think theres enough current there

Latest posts

Back