• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Rain

What are models showing in regard to return of late summer/fall drought like past two years?

Trying to plan fall plantings and I'd rather leave our summer plots in place than hunt over dirt fields for another year.
Models only going to around Aug 20th at this point. They show two fronts coming through in mid-August, but don't know how much rain will be involved with either. One around August 9-10 and the other around the 17-18th.

The Climate Center has above average rain for the Southeast Aug 3-16. Also has normal temperature for the first half of August, which are highs in the upper 80s to low 90s.

I too will be watching the weather closely early to mid-August. I had great results mowing my summer plots around Aug 8 last year, despite the lack of rain after that. But I got great germination from natural crimson clover seed under the mulch, and the mulch helped the clover survive all the way through the fall drought. This year, I will be broadcasting buckwheat and more crimson clover seed before mowing. Hoping for rain after that. Won't broadcast wheat until late September.

I got several pounds of turnips, radishes, rape, clover for free. I broadcast them into standing grass today out of curiosity.

How are you planning on getting germination? Or when you are planning on mowing it?
If the seed is still good (it's old. That's why it was free) it will be germinate by the end of next week after these rains we are getting. I'll mow based on weed growth in the next few weeks. It's the same way I do cereal grains, austrian winter peas, and Crimson clover every year. I haven't tilled in 4 years

If my area didn't get another single solitary drop of rain for a month my beans would still be pretty much good to go…not tempting fate or anything just sayin'.

Finally got a gully-washer in west Nashville yesterday. Not much in Humphreys County, but we aren't in drought conditions out there either (4" for July).

7.5" spread out just right in Wayne, I'd love this every July!
Whenever this ditch has water in it, I'm in good shape and it was almost overflowing Fri, then got more Sat & Sun😁
IMG_20240726_183213444_HDR.webp

Who all is planting this weekend? There's some decent chances Friday-Sunday in my area. Debating on doing it now or waiting a few more weeks but don't want to get caught in the September drought like last year.
Iffy at best looks like. I planted some radishes and greens last Friday on the Plateau. Gonna be dry according to long range forecast.

Planted Sunday and Monday. Now praying for rain but it's not looking great. This is going be ANOTHER super-dry August at my place.

Planted Sunday and Monday. Now praying for rain but it's not looking great. This is going be ANOTHER super-dry August at my place.

What all did you plant? Trying to decide if it's too early to plant my cereal grains or not? I know they will lose their "tenderness" earlier in the deer season if I plant now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back