• Help Support TNDeer:

Top 5 Bucks Killed at Presidents Island

Andy S.":1mgphao0 said:
Private club on the island killed a 200" buck several years back. I posted pics of it on here.
And since then, they operate under the Code of Omertà.

Have also heard they've killed some truly world-class mainframe 8-pointers.
I'd personally rather kill a 150-class 8-pointer than a 160-class 12-pointer.

TN Whitetail Freak":20xya50v said:
AT Hiker":20xya50v said:
TN Whitetail Freak":20xya50v said:
One of the TWRA guys told me only 4 deer in over a dozen years would have meet the 20" rule at PI. Ironically enough, the only deer checked in this year was a 20" 9pt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He either is lying or doesnt know squat. Hell ive seen 6 in 2 years on more heavily pressured wmas with same restrictions

The wildlife officer at Ensley said essentially the same thing. The genetics for racks is tall and heavy and not wide. If you see a 20 inch wide buck, it's likely 170.

AT Hiker":crxrnnuf said:
TN Whitetail Freak":crxrnnuf said:
He presented a 20" wide rule which im glad he did because it has allowed for some really good deer to be targeted and some good bucks to be taken in the other wmas grouped with PI. i personally have 2 shooters this year that fall into the 20" category that the 9pt rule nixed. One his a 6pt one is an 8

One of the TWRA guys told me only 4 deer in over a dozen years would have meet the 20" rule at PI. Ironically enough, the only deer checked in this year was a 20" 9pt.

Lot of people don't realize a 20" inside spread is fairly uncommon. Every year I run into guys talking about their 20"+ 10pt then I see a pic and it's more 16-17. I think most just don't know how to measure it correctly (perpendicular to the skull). No way if I was hunting on a place with a 20" minimum could I correctly judge in the field.

TN Whitetail Freak":dbu6c88p said:
AT Hiker":dbu6c88p said:
TN Whitetail Freak":dbu6c88p said:

He either is lying or doesnt know squat. Hell ive seen 6 in 2 years on more heavily pressured wmas with same restrictions
I think you misunderstood his post. Only 4 bucks killed (not walking around alive) on PI over last decade would have met the minimum spread requirement. PI is known for more narrow, tall and heavy racks, no overly wide racks.

Andy S.":10qsuhpi said:
TN Whitetail Freak":10qsuhpi said:
AT Hiker":10qsuhpi said:
TN Whitetail Freak said:

I think you misunderstood his post. Only 4 bucks killed (not walking around alive) on PI over last decade would have met the minimum spread requirement. PI is known for more narrow, tall and heavy racks, no overly wide racks.
That's probably out of only about 50 deer total too. Ditto on the tall heavy racks. I found a buck skull there last weekend and it probably died of old age. Lots of mass with some gnarly stickers but nowhere near 20".

TN Whitetail Freak":3sne16t9 said:
How did my thread of wanting to see the top 5 bucks killed at PI turn into whether or not its worth putting in for. There was one suggested deer early on in the thread and very well is a top 5 buck.

Your welcome lol, notice I haven't really commented since then.

elknturkey":3do130a7 said:
Lot of people don't realize a 20" inside spread is fairly uncommon. Every year I run into guys talking about their 20"+ 10pt then I see a pic and it's more 16-17. I think most just don't know how to measure it correctly (perpendicular to the skull). No way if I was hunting on a place with a 20" minimum could I correctly judge in the field.

The rule was actually outside spread, regardless your correct. 20" is wide and I've not handled many. A 18" inside wide deer walking away from you looks like he is 2 feet wide!

I've killed a few mule deer in the 24" range, that 30" dream buck has eluded me, and I've killed a few of 20" wide ones too. I've maybe seen a handful of whitetails in the wild that barely come close to 20" inside.

Just think, if you shoot one at PI that you assume is 20" outside but measured 19"....it will be your last hunt there ever and you'll never see your deer again.

Andy S.":1brl0rp0 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1brl0rp0 said:
AT Hiker":1brl0rp0 said:
TN Whitetail Freak said:

Thanks Andy, I wasn't clear.

Andy S.":3qph6ye9 said:

They havent been killed because they havent been legal.

TN Whitetail Freak":2x26rnsd said:
Andy S.":2x26rnsd said:

They havent been killed because they havent been legal.
The officer was ONLY referring to bucks that were killed, not what was walking around on the island. Regardless of how one sees it, the island isn't known for 20" outside spread deer. Yes some exist, but they're in the minority. I've worked on/around the island for 23 years.

Ok, I know we are way off track but I'm pretty certain most everyone is speaking about PI.

Roost 1":25zvsjft said:
Where is this 20" outside spread a requirement??

A few West TN WMAs added it recently, maybe last year.
I cannot speak for the other places but PI is either 9pts or 20" outside spread.

20" spread is asinine. Another stupid regulation. A small percentage of Whitetails make it to 20" and just because they make it 20", outside or inside does not mean they will be a great deer.

I killed a buck several years ago that is 19-7/8" inside spread, tall wide 10 ptr, grosses 136". I have another that is 20" inside grosses 143". Both nice deer, but just because they are "20 inches" doesn't mean anything other than they are wide racks.

My best buck ever, I killed this year, is 14'3/4" inside spread, grosses 159-1/8".

You want to kill a 20" deer that is in the 130's or 140"s or a buck that barely misses 160"? 20" spread measurement is ignorant and serves no purpose to hunting at all.

As "ticky" as the 9 point rule is I don't see where a 20" spread rule makes a lot of sense. I think the average measurement of inside spread compared to tip to tip ear measurements is about 17". That's how I guesstimate spread on the hoof.

I dug back in the past looking for pictures posted from TWRA. I found one post but the pics aren't there.

I can understand the frustration of some over the 20" rule but i think it was TWRAs attempt to give a different option due to all the complaints about having to pass up monster bucks because it didn't have 9 points. I didn't realize that the 20" outsize rule existed but it makes some sense to me. Their goal is to protect the young bucks with rules that is as easy as possible for us to be able to effectively ensure while bow hunting. This post from 2012 (year after the flood) shows 2 that had over 20"
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=229604

Latest posts

Back