• Help Support TNDeer:

Polaris vs Can Am sxs

Gobble4me757

I first posted in the other forum but feel as though this would have more traffic.

I've gone back and forth…can am defender vs Polaris general /ranger. All I have read was that the can am was superior, but is it worth being 5-7k more?

I just will be using to ride around the house with my son as well as take to the camp to use to hunt with as well as for work around the camp.

Would it be worth getting a used can am around the price of a new Polaris etc?

I don't care about power as I'm really not gonna be using it for power/towing etc. I just care about durability, quiet, workhorse, and would like to be able to go decently fast but not anything crazy etc.

I'm in Florence, AL now do will be by a Polaris dealer, but I've heard their repairs are high etc I will drive by a can am dealership on the way to camp so that's a wash.

Which one is quieter? I know can ams are reliable but do Polaris hold up? Etc Open to any and all points. Thanks!

Y'all are giving me more hope in the Polaris…my grandfather had one years ago and it was in and out of the shop which is why I am leery. I have a Polaris 500 4wheeler without really many issues

Other question:
Would you buy new or used?

I've got a ranger 800 I bought new in 2011 and it's still going strong. It's indispensable for daily chores but it's also very capable of hauling firewood. I have an arch skidder and use the ranger to drag saw logs to my sawmill. It gets uses for way heavier, harder work than it was designed for and it handles it. No doubt the can am is also a great rib but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Polaris when the time comes.

Attachments

• 21307.webp
    21307.webp
    616.9 KB · Views: 1
I'd say for every can am purchased, there are probably 25 Polaris out there. Exactly why I went with can am and against the grain lol

I'm sure both are good machines but my mechanic says he works on tons of Polaris. Possibly cause there are so many of them but he says he won't own one.

How quiet is the Polaris?

It's not terribly loud but it's not as quiet as my brother's Tracker which is made by arctic cat. I don't use mine for hunting so I never really paid much attention. I do use it for retrieving deer though, and it's awesome for that.

Attachments

• 21308.webp
    21308.webp
    569.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a 2020 Ranger XP1000 Sportsman Pkg. No issues out of it at all. I just do normal maintenance on it and have replaced a CV boot that I ripped by myself. They are both good machines IMO, just depends on which one you want. Ain't none of them cheap….doesn't matter which one you get.
Like Ski said, they work pretty good getting a deer out of the woods.
IMG_0903.webp

How quiet is the Polaris?
I have a 2024 Polaris 1000 and it's super quiet. I'm sure the can am defender is different but I also had a can am commander in the past and it was loud as crap. Couldn't even have a conversation in the cab while driving. The Polaris quietness is what sold me over the others I looked at. One dealership I went to sold the can am too but I didn't drive a defender. Not because I wouldn't buy one but because I didn't want to pay the extra that they cost so didn't even bother driving one. The salesman did tell me that the defender was the cats meow but it came with the extra cost.

I think I only have 140 miles or so on mine so can't speak on any issues and hope I don't have issues. But only having it 6 months I say if I'm going to have issues it'll be later on down the road. I'm on some Polaris pages on FB and see people post with issues quite a bit. But looking at their machines most of them seem to be operator error issues that have screwed up their sxs by mudding, flooding, and putting them through pure hell. Mine will never see that.

I bought a can a last February and I love it! It's a defender HD10. It's a had a bunch of deer in the back on it in one season. Great machine, lots of power and rides great. I don't think it's very loud. My Buddy liked it so much he got rid of his Polaris ranger and switched to can am

I have a CanAm Commander and it's a tough machine . Built like a tank but as @rem270 a little loud but I just retrieve deer or use it to haul stuff . It's a more versatile machine because you can trail ride or use it otherwise....pretty dang fast.

Attachments

• 20230916_102556.webp
    20230916_102556.webp
    435.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230916_102537.webp
    20230916_102537.webp
    438.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230916_102519.webp
    20230916_102519.webp
    599.5 KB · Views: 1
For what it's worth. The deer just stand there and look at me why I drive by. If I stop they get on edge. That's using if around the farm. I don't drive it in hunting but take it incase I kill one.

Either one will be fine. Excellent for spraying fields and fence rows and such. Mine keeps a sprayer in the back lol

I owned the Pol Ranger 570.
BULLET PROOF! Easiest machine to work on ever built. Not a mechanic? No problem, Youtube IS!!!!!
I easily replaced steering box, struts, front and rear axles, and other stuff cheap and easy.
(That's what rough use will do for you)
Parts were readily available, on Amazon, and cheap. I owned my 570 for several years and got bored during Covid so I probably did a bunch of unnecessary repairs but I kept my sanity!

An absolute workhorse. I had a buddy who really wanted it so I sold it to him and bought a Pioneer (Honda) 700 new in '23. The ride, speed, and ease of use doesn't compare to the old Ranger. But it's a Honda.

Word of advice, make sure to get an enclosed cab either from dealer or Amazon. You can add a roof, front and rear windshield, etc if you are DIY and save a fortune. But in cold rain, PRICELESS!

NO experience with Can Am. STOOOOOPID expensive for ZERO reason! Go Polaris or Honda!

And Do not get a 4 door in anything unless you have wide open riding spaces. It takes a 40 acre field to turn those around!

Latest posts

Back