• Help Support TNDeer:

What is your worst rifle you ever owned?

When a firearm jams or has some other types of mechanical problems I'd relate that to production quality.
When you tell me that a 6.5 creedmore can't kill a deer, I'd relate that to operator error in most cases. Poor shot placement, poor distance judgement, etc. This story actually validates my positive attitude about a firearm and projectile. And there are thousand of posotive kills if not more since that firearm came out in 2007. It's the old story, practice, practice, practice. And if scope is involved, there are many aspects there: over torqued tube, scope tilted, loose even if you think it's tight, cross hairs a problem, lense problems, but it mostly comes back to operator(POOR SHOT).
This is just one positive story, there are more than you have time to read. So here is the facts: It will kill a deer, elk, bear, bore, antelope, and more.
PROOF: 6.5 Creedmoor Proven: How Does It Actually Perform on Big Game?
Just to be clear, your CREEDMORE ain't killing squat. But I stand by what I said, it's what I've been told.

Mossberg .17….never knew they made rifles until the day I found it in Franklin gun shop. Bought it because it was cheap. Took to cabin and sighted in with about 10 shots. Went riding out one of our roads and saw an armadillo. Aimed and shot - the gun blew up in my face. Had burns from burning powder on my cheeks, forehead and in my right eye. Me and Franklin gun shop emailed to mossberg. To this day, I've never heard back from them.

That was about 10 years ago. I've vowed not to ever buy another gun from them. Franklin gun shop gave me back what I spent on it and I saw a beautiful stainless Savage .17 there for about $75 more and bought it. That sucker is probably my favorite gun I own.

Just to be clear, your CREEDMORE ain't killing squat. But I stand by what I said, it's what I've been told.

I got 3 Creedmoor stories this weekend

#1 - not good for deer, they'll blow one apart

#2 - not good for deer, the bullet is going too fast to expand

#3 - not good for deer, if you shoot them in the guts you might as well not even track them because they're hard to find

I also got a 270 story as well

Dude won't shoot 140's or 150's because 130's tear a deer up bad so anything heavier would make one explode

My conclusion

Lots of people are clueless and they repeat things other clueless people say

Knockdown paaaarrrrr!

#3 - not good for deer, if you shoot them in the guts you might as well not even track them because they're hard to find

My conclusion

Knockdown paaaarrrrr!
I always like the ones that think bigger is always better lol

Marlin 1894 44 mag. Beautiful gun but could group better than a pie plate at 50 yards. Tried dozens of loads, scopes, iron sights.

I could out shoot it at 100 yards with my Ruger black hawk with iron sights and my 1894 had a 3x9 scope. That's when I gave up

Im not calling ANYBODY a liar, but Ive heard that "my model 7 shoots great!" before from some of my buddies. EVERY time I managed to get to the range with them, guess what? They shot like crap too! "Well, its NEVER done that before!"
Ive got a good Boyds laminated stock for a model 7 if yall 7 lovers are interested. I dont plan on going down that road again.

Im not calling ANYBODY a liar, but Ive heard that "my model 7 shoots great!" before from some of my buddies. EVERY time I managed to get to the range with them, guess what? They shot like crap too! "Well, its NEVER done that before!"
Ive got a good Boyds laminated stock for a model 7 if yall 7 lovers are interested. I dont plan on going down that road again.
I'm not defending the model seven, but I do like them for hunting... lightweight, compact, etc. That said, I don't do well with them on a bench...too light in the muzzle. Won't rest on bags right for me. I've had 3 that were the varmint model (think that was what they were called). Longer barrel... fluted, and camo dipped. They shot nice, but gave up some of the compactness. I had a regular model seven in 260 rem. It was good enough for hunting around here, but awful on the bench (for me). The guy I sold it to kept in touch. He was thoroughly pleased with it on the bench. Would occasionally send pics of some really nice groups. I chalk that one up to ....just not for me.

I also got a 270 story as well

Dude won't shoot 140's or 150's because 130's tear a deer up bad so anything heavier would make one explode

My conclusion

Knockdown paaaarrrrr!
I love the "its to fast" 😁

I love the "its to fast" 😁
The biggest problem with the CM isn't the round itself. It's the same problem that the mid 80s mustang GT had....the douche bags that buy them thinking it will turn them into the next Carlos Hathcock /John Force.
Even though there were many vehicles/rounds that will/would outperform both...the marketing has convinced people their skills magically become better than they are. Many wannabe "drivers" died trying. And many deer have been/will continue to be wounded because of wannabe "snipers".

Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone, but when you encourage people to take shots at animals they aren't skilled enough to make...you are encouraging poor ethics. So for that....🖕Hornady....Q, and whomever else was involved!!

Again... nothing wrong with the round...just the douche bags that think it makes them something they aren't.

The biggest problem with the CM isn't the round itself. It's the same problem that the mid 80s mustang GT had....the douche bags that buy them thinking it will turn them into the next Carlos Hathcock /John Force.
Even though there were many vehicles/rounds that will/would outperform both...the marketing has convinced people their skills magically become better than they are. Many wannabe "drivers" died trying. And many deer have been/will continue to be wounded because of wannabe "snipers".

Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone, but when you encourage people to take shots at animals they aren't skilled enough to make...you are encouraging poor ethics. So for that....🖕Hornady....Q, and whomever else was involved!!

Again... nothing wrong with the round...just the douche bags that think it makes them something they aren't.

I've never had negative interactions with a Creedmoor owner. Anyone that I've been around that owns a CM has been positive. Most are quite knowledgeable and are well aware of the cartridges capabilities. The worst guys I'm around for cartridges are .308 guys and guys that shoot magnums.

As far as blaming Hornady, that's hilarious. Every company has claimed greater range, killing power, etc with pretty much any new cartridge that's been marketed. So you should be mad at the gun industry in general and make comments at this new fangled smokeless powder, any bullet ever made, etc because it's all designed to do exactly what you whine about Hornady and the CM doing, increase range and encourage people to shoot farther.

Fire up your blunderbuss and good luck in the woods this year pilgrim.

The only negatives I've heard are from guys that constantly have to rag on the Creedmoor and the people that own them. You'll see it on forums all the time, the word Creedmoor comes up and there they are, lol.

This is how I imagine them anytime the word Creedmoor comes up

Attachments

• crying liberal (1).webp
    crying liberal (1).webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
I've never had negative interactions with a Creedmoor owner. Anyone that I've been around that owns a CM has been positive. Most are quite knowledgeable and are well aware of the cartridges capabilities. The worst guys I'm around for cartridges are .308 guys and guys that shoot magnums.

As far as blaming Hornady, that's hilarious. Every company has claimed greater range, killing power, etc with pretty much any new cartridge that's been marketed. So you should be mad at the gun industry in general and make comments at this new fangled smokeless powder, any bullet ever made, etc because it's all designed to do exactly what you whine about Hornady and the CM doing, increase range and encourage people to shoot farther.

The only negatives I've heard are from guys that constantly have to rag on the Creedmoor and the people that own them. You'll see it on forums all the time, the word Creedmoor comes up and there they are, lol.

Momma always said.... throw a shoe into a kennel full of dogs, and the one that yelps is the one you hit!! 😂 😂 😂

Remi, don't take my opinion personally. There are those like yourself that shoot a lot, and can likely benefit from the CM performance. But you can't (in good faith) argue that there isn't a belief out there that the CM is good for deer out to xxx number of yards! Maybe it is, but so are a bunch of others. But the CM has that..."reputation". Just read on this forum..."the CM has more energy at xx yards than a 300wm". Why would punching paper care how much energy? So, with that in mind, people are encouraging others to take ridiculously long shots at deer. There is a video on here of people trying to make a cold bore, 500 yard shot at a deer target. Only one made it....with an extremely customized, high dollar rifle....with additional info from the previous shooters. My point, that you and others are taking wrong, isn't about the CM round itself....it's about the....belief, if you will, that it will turn the average "half dozen shots a year" hunter into a long range killing machine. The Swede, 260, x284, 26nos, 264WM, 6.5x300 WBY, etc, will all equal or exceed the "performance" of the 6.5CM, yet people aren't running out and buying them by the millions under the assumption that they can now shoot deer too 1k yards. And THAT is MARKETING... plain and simple. Weather Hornady intended it is irrelevant. They haven't tried to stop it. Why would they...they are raking in the $$ from it....which was their goal!!

Again...I have nothing (read that again.. NOTHING) against the round...or anyone that shoots it. Heck, I've even recommended it to people.
This is going to sound smart assed...and I apologize if you take it that way, but.... I've owned a few CMs, and they just didn't do anything for me that any other standard cartridge won't do. Granted, I'm not a bench shooter. Most of my "on game" shots will be well within 200 yards. Rumor has it that the CM don't come into its own till 5-600 yards. I'm not going to take a shot that far, nor encourage others to do so. If it works for you, hey...wear it out. It just doesn't impress me. And that doesn't make either of us a bad person!!

Momma always said.... throw a shoe into a kennel full of dogs, and the one that yelps is the one you hit!! 😂 😂 😂

Remi, don't take my opinion personally. There are those like yourself that shoot a lot, and can likely benefit from the CM performance. But you can't (in good faith) argue that there isn't a belief out there that the CM is good for deer out to xxx number of yards! Maybe it is, but so are a bunch of others. But the CM has that..."reputation". Just read on this forum..."the CM has more energy at xx yards than a 300wm". Why would punching paper care how much energy? So, with that in mind, people are encouraging others to take ridiculously long shots at deer. There is a video on here of people trying to make a cold bore, 500 yard shot at a deer target. Only one made it....with an extremely customized, high dollar rifle....with additional info from the previous shooters. My point, that you and others are taking wrong, isn't about the CM round itself....it's about the....belief, if you will, that it will turn the average "half dozen shots a year" hunter into a long range killing machine. The Swede, 260, x284, 26nos, 264WM, 6.5x300 WBY, etc, will all equal or exceed the "performance" of the 6.5CM, yet people aren't running out and buying them by the millions under the assumption that they can now shoot deer too 1k yards. And THAT is MARKETING... plain and simple. Weather Hornady intended it is irrelevant. They haven't tried to stop it. Why would they...they are raking in the $$ from it....which was their goal!!

Again...I have nothing (read that again.. NOTHING) against the round...or anyone that shoots it. Heck, I've even recommended it to people.
This is going to sound smart assed...and I apologize if you take it that way, but.... I've owned a few CMs, and they just didn't do anything for me that any other standard cartridge won't do. Granted, I'm not a bench shooter. Most of my "on game" shots will be well within 200 yards. Rumor has it that the CM don't come into its own till 5-600 yards. I'm not going to take a shot that far, nor encourage others to do so. If it works for you, hey...wear it out. It just doesn't impress me. And that doesn't make either of us a bad person!!
I believe you hit it correctly. The creedmore gets downtrodden by unqualified shooters that like you said shoot a half dozen rounds a year. Or think that just because that round and rife are capable of long range shots, they are immediately distance shooters.

Hey now, don't be knocking my 308.... :)

Put 2 rounds in the same hole verifying my zero before deer season rolls around with mine a couple weeks ago, and called it good. And my new SFAR with new rings and new scope, all put together straight outta the box, was 1.5 inches high and right with the first shot. I'll take that any day over a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I know, there are plenty of folks that don't care for the recoil on anything bigger than a 223, but a rifle that shoots well is a blessing, whatever caliber it is in.

Hey now, don't be knocking my 308.... :)

Put 2 rounds in the same hole verifying my zero before deer season rolls around with mine a couple weeks ago, and called it good. And my new SFAR with new rings and new scope, all put together straight outta the box, was 1.5 inches high and right with the first shot. I'll take that any day over a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I know, there are plenty of folks that don't care for the recoil on anything bigger than a 223, but a rifle that shoots well is a blessing, whatever caliber it is in.
Anyone tells you a .308 is no good for distance, doesn't shoot very often. 800yds is nothing for a .308. Most rifles are great, some better than other, some worse than others. It's usually the finger in front of the trigger attached to the hand, arm and body of the operator that screws things up on the shot POI.

I'm not sure what your shoe comment means? I was simply replying to your post. You should read up on some of the things that make the Creedmoor popular.

You like to post anti creedmoor posts at every given chance. I've been around a bunch of people that shoot, none of them hold that belief on the Creedmoor case, even new shooters. No one I have ever been around believe you can shoot a deer at 1k with a Creedmoor. Are you actually around these people or are they imaginary?

People aren't buying those rounds because factory ammo options suck. If you're a reloader that doesn't matter but most people don't reload.

crying liberal (1).webp

When the 6.5 Creedmoor first was publicized there was some misconception I noticed. Just because it can punch holes in paper at 1,000 yards some people thought it would punch holes in Deer adequately at 1,000 yards. Not the case at all. It may actually punch a hole in a deer at that range but it not likely to kill it.

Latest posts

Back